Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mono vs fluoro tippets/leaders
I wonder if you had used some other brand than Vanish if you might like it better. Vanish is the worst there is. Seaguar or P-Line Fluoro is the best.
I agree that a taper leader is not needed on Stillwater when fishing sub surface. But for dries, a tapered leader (mono, fluoro, furled) is a must. Taper is designed for presentation.
Good rule of thumb, when you buy a leader, attach at least a foot of tippet. You could mix. Mono leader and fluoro tippet (I can't see the opposite being of any benefit)
By attaching tippet, by the time you hit the knot, you know to attach more tippet. This prolongs the life of the leader and full access to it's taper.
That is why many are switching to a furled leader. It has a ring on the end you attach tippet to. As little or as much as you like and any kind of material.
Furled leaders have no memory and you can cast JUST the leader, which just means it is aiding in your presentation. Very important at time for delicate dries.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [MBM1969] mono vs fluoro tippets/leaders - by flygoddess - 04-21-2014, 12:27 AM