Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mono vs fluoro tippets/leaders
Flouro leaders are the way to go I think we had a similar conversation on here a little while back but after that initial conversation I did some of my own unscientific research I cant speak on the catch rate its all subjective I mean it takes allot more than your leader to catch a fish so... but I did find myself using less tippet. If anybody knows me knows I like to bottom bounce or nymph and in doing so snags happen. Seems like the fluoro held up better then nylon It seemed I wasn't tying on a new fly quite as often but again I'm no scientist.

For still water I use a Nylon leader with Flouro tippet back when I thought Nylon was the best thing since sliced bread I purchased Umqua spools in bulk so instead wasting it I use a 7 to 9 feet of 10lbs nylon leader then tie in 2 to 3 feet of 3x or 4x fluoro tippet

For rivers I use FG's furled leader with 2 feet of 5x or 6x flouro seem to work well

I can say you can save some cash buying the the regular fishing line spools of P-line 100% flouro or segular red label. The 4lbs spools have a diameter of .006 in which case 5x tippet has the diameter of .005 so a difference .001... and i dont think .001 makes a difference.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [americanforkdude] mono vs fluoro tippets/leaders - by sinergy - 04-21-2014, 06:11 PM