Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonar question
The way I use my finder in the summer somewhat differs to the way I use it for ice fishing in the winter.
Summer time is all about structure to me, I do a lot of bass fishing and structure, depth, and how hard the bottom is will relate to where the bass are at that time. When I am trout fishing with my flyrod off of my kickboat, I will look for overall depth to the bottom and depth of where the trout, crappie, bluegills, or any other fish are suspended.
WInter time or ice fishing is where the finder comes in handy, I will look for depth of the bottom to the ice, I will also look at my lure to where it is relative to the bottom and to see if the bottom type species are around when I jig, this is mostly for perch. I also use the finder for suspended fish and what depth they are at, I will then reel my lure up to that area ( if you have the sensitivity turned up, you can see the lure) if I see a blip come across above my lure. The suspended fish are usually crappie, trout, pike, or even muskie.
That cone you are asking about is the transducer, it will start out small at the top and depending on how deep you're finder goes and what the degree of the you're particular cone's angle is, will spread out across the bottom of the lake, hence, closer to the cone, less of a picture and angle, the farther away, the wider the angle of the cone is. There is no way to tell where that fish comes into the cone area. If a fish shows up in the cone, jig the lure (preferably above the fish where it can see the movement) and hopefully you have on what it wants to eat and you catch it.
The whole key to understanding the finder is getting out using and seeing it under different circumstances.
I am not familiar with the "deeper" model, I use Hummingbird finders on my bass boat, kickboat, and while ice fishing, they seem to do good enough for me, There is a wealth of information on youtube and the internet that will teach you more than what you are willing to put the time in for but you still have to get out and differentiate what the colors and symbols mean.

Good Luck

Scott
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Sonar question - by BHuij - 02-25-2015, 06:19 PM
Re: [BHuij] Sonar question - by RockyRaab - 02-25-2015, 06:40 PM
Re: [BHuij] Sonar question - by HD7000 - 02-25-2015, 06:49 PM
Re: [BHuij] Sonar question - by dtayboyz - 02-25-2015, 06:49 PM
Re: [dtayboyz] Sonar question - by BHuij - 02-25-2015, 07:13 PM
Re: [BHuij] Sonar question - by kentofnsl - 02-25-2015, 07:21 PM
Re: [kentofnsl] Sonar question - by HD7000 - 02-25-2015, 07:26 PM
Re: [BHuij] Sonar question - by Stratos99 - 02-25-2015, 07:34 PM