Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refinishing Inflatable Pontoon
Here's what I wrote about my Top Five Fins List on my Facebook page, "The Palmetto Fly" ...

"I got the fins for my float tube yesterday. It's the first scuba fins I've had in 30 years. I used to do a lot of diving when I lived in Key West, so I understand this part of it.

And if you don't know it, float tubes are propelled by the user with swim fins of some kind. In California, where "belly boats" are insanely popular, you'll see every type of fin in use. Each fin style has it's loyal followers, of course, and trash talking "fin bullys" seem common. In France there also seems to be a fan base of tubers, and they use styles that are different than those on the Left Coast. To each his own, it seems.

A while back I compiled a short list of recommended fins, those that users themselves were happy with. Here it is, in no particular order:

Force Fins
Hot Spots
Mares Avanti
Atomic Split Fins
Omega Flip Fins

A few details of each -

• Force Fins: the darling of the Cali tubers, they are pricey; used ones go for over $100. These have a unique, folded shape which is said to be the ultimate In propulsion (I have noticed the ones who say it most are the maker - and those who have paid retail to own them).
They have many detractors, too, so all is not completely idyllic in Force Fin Land.
Either way, my budget isn't set for that, so they're out.

• Hot Spots: one of the few that are designed to float. I've spoken with the maker, and they are 50$ from his location. They are made from a fairly soft composition rubber and were high on my list. However, they are more like 'cottage industry' production items, and I have supply and support concerns.

• Mares Avanti: classic Italian scuba fins, they're about as common as water itself. These are the Silver Standard of dive fins. About $100 new, they are a staple in the used market and support is rest available. They also have great support and thats comforting.

• Atomic brand split fins:
These look like regular fins, but have a length wise split up the fins middle.
This makes them flex easier which is said to be less tiring, while still offering good propulsion.

• Omega brand flip fins:
These have the fin portion hinged to pivot upwards, for moving around the shore. Once in the water, they lock down in the "swim" mode. In this finning position, they are in all other respects a normal scuba type fin. Really cool, is like to have them.
Also pricey - $150.

In the end the Mares Avantis won out, for simple financial reasons.
Used price was 40% of new, shipped. Even so, they are like new and for my no-stress, freshwater use they should last the season, at least. I'm more worried about ME giving out, than these fins!

These are open heel fins, not slip-ons. I sized them XL so I can wear stocking-foot waters, dive boots, thick booties or a combination of these.

I guess I'll have to keep my toe nails trimmed after this."
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Refinishing Inflatable Pontoon - by ddaley - 03-03-2015, 03:52 AM
Re: [TubeDude] Refinishing Inflatable Pontoon - by dayhut - 03-07-2015, 11:52 PM