Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
snapping turtle encounters --- dangerous or no?
[#0000FF]No matter where you wade, tube, boat, swim or whatever there are potential hazards. But they are always worse in your mind than in reality.

Among nature's hazards are not only big turtles but various kinds of poisonous snakes, alligators (in the south), beavers, etc. Add in potential encounters with dogs, coyotes, belligerent bovines, rock throwing onlookers, crazy power craft and you have a whole bunch of potential excuses for not going afloat.

I have been tubing for well over 50 years...fresh water and salt...rivers and lakes...you name it. I have shared the water with turtles, snakes, gators and sharks. Never had an inkling of a close call. One exception. A large green sea turtle in the Sea of Cortez wanted to climb up on my tube with me. I just told him I had a headache.

Most turtles will boogie if they feel you kicking or walking toward them. And they usually are only harmful to people who try to catch or handle them. Just like snakes.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [artaq] snapping turtle encounters --- dangerous or no? - by TubeDude - 05-09-2015, 02:47 PM