Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
snapping turtle encounters --- dangerous or no?
"One thing I don't know is the temperment of snapping turtles. Have they ever been known to chase for the sake of being ornery or aggressive"

[#0000FF]I don't claim to know everything about snappers. But from my experience and from what I have heard from others there is little danger from them while tubing. First of all, they act more like prey than predator. They try to escape when possible without confrontation. But if cornered or captured they can put up a nasty fight.

I suppose that if you inadvertently stepped on one while launching or beaching you could provoke a bite. But otherwise they will either remain motionless to avoid detection or move away if they feel they are threatened.

That doesn't mean that you will never get munched if you come into range of their jaws. Everybody (every turtle) can have a bad day and get cranky. But because they are so scarce in areas where a lot of humans hang out the odds are slim.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [pontoonman] snapping turtle encounters --- dangerous or no? - by TubeDude - 05-11-2015, 12:57 PM