Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Kokes (again)
The weather wasn't good, but wife and I decided to brave the elements at Strawberry. Last visit was 5/12 when we got 4 nice kokes around 3 pounds ea. Today (5/19) got boat in about 8:30a and started on the Soldier Creek side about half way to the narrows. Bad choice, very few fish for the next mile. Wind was calm. Water temp was 42.5F. Used 2 jet divers (with Amish Outfitter releases) and one downrigger. Had 5" dodgers on the divers, one with a squid and the other with a spinner. Downrigger had an 8" flasher with squid about 10" back.

No hits until we got to the narrows, then picked up our smallest koke. Got another on the South shore. Both came on the downrigger so I put the divers up and put out the other downrigger with two rods 7' apart. Orange dodger was on the bottom at 40' and the upper was silver/pink dodger with pink squid. Set both downriggers at 40'. Wind came up about 10:00 and the kokes started to turn on. Wind got stronger out of the West and lots of whitecaps very cold. The kokes really got into it now. Kept us really busy and had a triple once. Landed all three.

Interestingly saw very few fish on the sonar even with the range set to 80'. We limited on kokes by 12:30, but never got a trout. I think they were hanging out in the warmer water near shore.

Just a couple of other boats on the water. One was using a planer board and I think it was "likestrolling". I've met him up there before and he is a fine koke fisherman. It was a good day for us. Just too bad the kokes waited until the wind kicked up.

Going to smoke these in my new smoker and I really don't know what I'm doing there. About a month ago someone posted what looked to me to be a super smoking recipe with a honey glaze. If anyone remembers the post I would sure appreciate knowing the date so I can find it again. Best regards and good fishing to all. Trueblue
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Strawberry Kokes (again) - by trueblue2 - 05-19-2015, 10:11 PM