Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Kokes (again)
try this I don't know if this is the one you saw

Smoked Salmon Step by Step
It is best to always freeze your salmon before smoking as the freezing process breaks down the muscle tissue allowing the fish to brine better.

After the salmon is thawed get your ingredients lined up and ready to go.
Next make your brine, combine all these ingredients in a large bowl. Remember this is a dry brine there is no liquid involved here.
2 cups brown sugar
1/3 cup salt
1 tbsp onion salt
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp celery salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp white pepper
1 tbsp dried hot mustard
1 tbsp dried lemon peel
1 tbsp dill weed
Combine all the ingredients and mix well.

You will need a large container to stack the fish. I use a plastic drawer from an old fridge. First you want to make a layer of brine on the bottom of your container, next place a layer of fish, then a layer of brine... continue stacking. I like to pack the brine as I go.

Stack your fish meat to meat with packed brine inbetween.
Place in the fridge for at least 24 hours. If you leave the fish in the brine longer they will turn into fish candy! I have left in brine up to 36 hours, it is best to try different lengths of time to see what you like best. In 12 hours or so the brine will turn to a liquid so make sure you baste and/or rotate your pieces of fish so they all get the same soaking time.

Your dry brine will soon turn to liquid.
When you are done soaking remove the fish from the brine and place on your smoking racks... DO NOT RINSE! Let stand for an hour or so until the fish becomes tacky. Place in the smoker and smoke.

Fish is ready to remove from the smoker...
Take your fish out before you normally do and place on cookie sheets. It is a good idea to coat the cookie sheets with some kind of non-stick spray before hand. Now generously coat the fish with honey... goop it on real thick!

Try honey, maple suryp or japeleno jelly for a coating.
Place fish in a 325 oven until the edges of the fish start turning dark.
Take fish out and try not to eat it all when it is warm. I have to tell you it is the very best smoked salmon you will ever eat in your life and it is 100% better warm!
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Strawberry Kokes (again) - by trueblue2 - 05-19-2015, 10:11 PM
Re: [trueblue2] Strawberry Kokes (again) - by liketrolling - 05-19-2015, 11:48 PM