Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mak Jig'n Line Opinion
Personally, I fish straight 12lb. mono. Done. Its worked perfectly for 3 decades. Stren, Trilene, P-line, take your pick. Doesn't matter.

On my guided rigs, I fish 30lb. braid with the same 12lb. mono leader. Its just easier for most of the people I guide, and better when they get snagged on the bottom and I need to break off. All that's left on the bottom is a short piece of mono leader, not 50 or 100 feet of braid. I can fish one spool of braid all season. The leader starts out at 10 or 12 feet, and when I get it cut down to just a few feet after lots of re-ties, I tie on another 10 or 12 foot piece. The fish aren't judging the leader length, its just so you have something to break off. 30 pound braid is easier to tie the leader to than 15, and it binds into itself under pressure a bit less.

The exception is now, when its below freezing all day. Then we fish the straight mono. again because it doesn't freeze on the reel as bad as braid.

Fluorocarbon is a hoax, I have no use for it in mack jigging. Braid is nice and simple, and more tangle-free, but I've yet to fish with a smooth-dropping one.

Always use backing under the braid. (12-lb mono!)
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Mak Jig'n Line Opinion - by WestFork - 12-04-2015, 09:56 PM
Re: [WestFork] Mak Jig'n Line Opinion - by Tarponjim - 12-07-2015, 03:30 PM