Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 2-5-16 Why?
[quote SkunkedAgain]Most of the fish there I totally agree, but not this one. If I would have had the drag tighter it only would have snapped sooner. I think the line was holding ok at that drag setting until I hit the weakened line around my knot and I guess the drag should have been looser there so the tension force didn't exceed the weakened line strength, but I didn't know it was weaker, that knot type has always been fine in the past for splicing leaders into main lines, I must have pulled too tight when I was tying it and put a pre-stress into the line. Anyway I've caught big fish before but this one was a step up from any I've caught. My best on light tackle is around 18 lbs and this one pulled harder. Don't know if it was bigger or just a better fighter, but it beat me. Later J[/quote]

I suspect what happened, is the knot physically got rammed into one of your guides while the fish was taking drag... I dunno what kind of attachment knot you used but most of the ones I've seen will rub on the guides... it can be just enough force in the wrong spot to undo the knot.

Is there any worse feeling in fishing than hooking into something with obvious weight and shoulders and losing them? It will make you second guess everything you did!!!
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Bear Lake 2-5-16 Why? - by SkunkedAgain - 02-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Re: [SkunkedAgain] Bear Lake 2-5-16 Why? - by Gemcityslayer - 02-06-2016, 08:59 PM