Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 2-5-16 Why?
[quote SkunkedAgain]

Didn't mean the carp comparison as a slam, I think the carp are one of the best fighting fish there are, big, solid and pure power, but they don't typically go airborn, that's impressive... Do you see that very often?

[/quote]

Most of them over about 6' long will jump. I lost one on the fourth jump after fighting it for 40 minutes. Also, if one puts more pressure on them they are more likely to jump.

[quote SkunkedAgain]

Just curious, do you have to have a special tag to fish for them, like the steelhead and salmon?

[/quote]

No, just a regular fishing license.

[quote SkunkedAgain]

If my memory is any good, they are catch and release only correct?

[/quote]

In all of Idaho, catch and release only and it is illegal to remove them from the water.

[quote SkunkedAgain]

What area do you typically do well fishing for them?

[/quote]

From Mountain Home area to Twin Falls.

[quote SkunkedAgain]

Seems like I remember hearing they are in the snake up by Twin Falls and Burley aren't they?

[/quote]

I don't believe they are found near Burley, at least one guy told me there weren't any near there. Some are right below American Falls.

[quote SkunkedAgain]

Now how far off am I in this statement, I had heard you fish for them sort of like catfish, big bait on the bottom...

[/quote]

Trout morts are popular in some areas up there and also whole or 1/2 crappie are popular. We have our best luck on pickled herring, and not necessary to fish with a large bait.

[quote SkunkedAgain]

When is the best season to fish for them?

[/quote]

Not sure when the best season is. They can be caught year around. I like to fish for them as soon as it warms up in the spring and into the late fall, with the exception of July. It can get extremely hot (temperature wise) up there in July. My first trip this year is scheduled near the end of May.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Bear Lake 2-5-16 Why? - by SkunkedAgain - 02-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Re: [SkunkedAgain] Bear Lake 2-5-16 Why? - by kentofnsl - 02-08-2016, 03:46 AM