Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling motor suggestions
[quote MBM1969]I am kind of in the same boat as you. I have a #30 Minn Kota with a flipped head that I used on my old 8ft Pontoon. This year I have bought a new 9ft pontoon and it is bigger and heavier than my old one as well as I weigh 285lb's so the motor has too push a lot of weight. I have been worried about my #30 thrust but so far it has worked no problems.

I run mostly at a 1 speed and it has worked well for slow trolling. Occasionally I will run at 5 to get off the water quicker and the motor will pull me at a good clip though the water. I have noticed that the battery loses it charge a bit faster but I am using an older battery so it might be due to that. If this motor ever dies I will most likely upgrade to the #40 mentioned above.

I recently added one cool thing to my setup and that's a tolling motor foot switch so I can stop the motor with my hand without turning back to work the handle on the motor. This works extremely well and I don't know why I didn't add one a couple years ago when I first got my motor.

Mark[/quote]

The smaller motors can be made more efficient and to give a higher thrust by tricking them out in different ways.
Mounting a cheap model airplane prop in place of the weedless can be done. Some alterations needed to make the fit and also the use of electric power measurements would be helpful. The result would be considerably more powerful without stressing the motor in any way, but the weedless feature would be lost.

PM
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Trolling motor suggestions - by moby_dick - 05-10-2016, 10:02 PM
Re: [MBM1969] Trolling motor suggestions - by pontoonman - 05-26-2016, 09:32 PM