Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fall Fishing at it's finest!
thanks for the replies. I think you guys got my point -- there is no "kamloops" strain.

sometimes we ask for things that we don't understand, which is why I always get my pet peeve button pushed when people ask for kamloops to be stocked.

Strains are often looked at, and Utah uses some very specific strains in their stocking. Reasons vary, from Whirling Disease resistance strains to spawning time of year strains. There are numerous reasons why.

Most of the time kamloops come up it is due to the "they get big" status. But you have to ask yourself an important question when it comes to this reason:
A. is strain the limiting factor on the current size limitation??

Usually, strain is NOT the limiting factor. Harvest (by either birds or anglers), regulations, winter survival, habitat, forage, water qualilty, etc., etc. all play factors.

if you have a lake that loses the majority of the rainbow trout over the course of a winter, would it make a difference if you used Sand Creek vs. Gerrad vs. Pennask strain fish? Probably not. You have to fix the over-winter issue (bottleneck) first, then move on to the next issue -- maybe it's a migratory bird issue that eats all young rainbows...so you have to find a strain that spawns in the fall (vs. the spring) so that the fish are big enough to not be the target of a migrating pisciverous bird?

Kamloops "strain". Just a personal pet peeve.

thanks for listening.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Fall Fishing at it's finest! - by richyd4u - 10-04-2016, 08:35 PM
Re: [doggonefishin] Fall Fishing at it's finest! - by PBH - 10-31-2016, 10:01 PM