Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FISH LAKE PERCH TOURNAMENT
[quote bulldogslc]I found a $20 used hand auger that I'll take somewhere to see if they'll sharpen the blades and keep an eye out for a cheap shelter. [/quote]

Save the $20, and the additional money you'll need to replace the blades. Just go to Cabelas and spend $50 on a new (with new blades!) hand auger:

http://bfy.tw/8vJA

Sportsmans Warehouse has them for $50 as well.

shelters. People love them. You see them everywhere. But you don't need one. Again, much depends on the weather -- if the weather is nice, why in the world would you want to hide in your shelter?? If budget is an issue, I wouldn't waste a dime on a shelter. I'd go enjoy the outdoors!

That brings up rods too -- many people like to use "ice fishing" rods. I don't. I use the same rods that I use the rest of the year. I don't know why I'd use anything else. Also to consider: lake trout. I sure wouldn't want to have a 20# lake trout take my ratfinkee tipped with a wax worm on a mini-icefishing rod!

You don't need special gear to ice fish. Just use what you already have. Steal your kids toboggan to haul your gear, and sit on a bucket. If you enjoy it (ice fishing) then you can start buying more specialized gear (shelters, flashers / sonars, propane augers, ice fishing chairs, side-by-side with track conversion kit....)

KISS
Keep It Simple, Stupid.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
FISH LAKE PERCH TOURNAMENT - by bulldogslc - 11-23-2016, 07:51 PM
Re: [bulldogslc] FISH LAKE PERCH TOURNAMENT - by PBH - 11-28-2016, 08:15 PM