Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings from the NW
Hello all in ND from JustDave in Oregon. Spring Chinook are showing in the Columbia system with the peak in April. Forecasted to be 500,000 or so heading upriver. Only clipped fish may be retained. Most will run 10-20 lbs with 30+ mixed in. Many, many guides out this way to take you out. Most rivers are still kicking out Steelhead although most are native and can not be retained. Quite a few 20lb+ fish have been reported in the last several weeks. Several rivers have Brood Stock fish mixed in and some are recycling fish from the hatcheries to the lower rivers for another run through the Gauntlet. Winter runs will continue through March and into April, and summer runs are beginning to show. Trout fishing will improve as the water warms. I personally have been targeting the Steel on the Coastal rivers. Just about any tactic has been working for everyone, drifting corky and yarn, eggs, prawns, shrimp, bobber + jig, flies, it's all good. I put a picture in the Wall of Fame in January of one of the fish from this year. I've been here 50+ years, advice is free. If you've not been here before, make plans to visit. You'll love it. Pack some cheap rain gear, even if you plan on summer visits, just to be on the safe side. We just never know what will roll in. Last year I managed to catch 23 varieties of fish around the state, so no matter what your target, you should be able to find it out here.

Just Dave
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Greetings from the NW - by Justdave - 02-20-2004, 11:41 PM