Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idea for building my first custom rod
Idea for building my first custom rod

My purpose for building this rod is to create a rod I seem to need that doesn't exist on the market.

Closest to what I want to do is fly fishing, but I've done it, like it and put it all away long ago learning new styles of fishing. I want to push the limits of what a spinning rod can do that approaches what fly-fishing can do with some of the larger flies.

I know the water weighted bubble is a substitute, but a fly fisherman wouldn't even think of making such a splash.

Background, purpose and inspiration for the custom rod I might build:

I shore fish a lot with a focus on cast and retrieve lures. Very early in the morning when it's breakfast time for the fish, IF I'm awake, my thoughts are the fish will still be just as wet in the afternoon.

The fish avoid shallow water on clear days with a calm surface due to vulnerability to predatory birds, so they go near the shore to feed when it's dark like just before dawn when I'm sleeping, so when I get out to fish in bright sunlight, the fish are in deeper water away from shore.

Where I shore fished at Silver Flat and Tribble Fork Reservoirs, that combined with the fish being tiny to mean the proper lure presentation is small and distant from the shore. This is usually not a problem because I haven't been targeting the tiny fish that are in high altitude mountain reservoirs and I have been using big lures to catch big fish at other reservoirs.

But, I already have just about every sort of rod for different fishing styles, so adding one more makes sense for increasing my collection and enhancement of the versatility of my fishing capabilities.

I caught a tiny planter trout out far from the bank by casting a 1/16 ounce jig head with a scented glow tube a maximum distance which was significantly less than the distance I was casting heavier lures.

I experimented with a lightweight rod which I deemed more suited to the lightweight lure weight. But, it was significantly shorter than my ten foot rod for 17 pound test line. Both would cast about the same distance. I figure the length gives an advantage and the match to lure weight also gives an advantage yet neither rod has both advantages.

I've never seen a lightweight rod that is also long except for fly fishing rods which are totally different and not for spinning reels and I have never heard of one being used that way until I got this CRAZY idea of getting a long and light fly fishing rod for my spinning reel.

On my way back thinking about that, I talked to John at Cabela's who said it's been done for drifting the fly down river with a spinning reel. Not quite the same and there are other significant differences.

Still, I'm thinking of trying a very light and long fly fishing rod for my spinning reel loaded with three pound test Nano which is what I used for the tiny trout on my heavier rod.

I know people custom build their own rods for subtle differences from what can be bought, but this is majorly different and even more a reason to build what I can't buy.

I think I'll be building my first rod. I want to get a premium lightweight and long fly rod blank and spinning rod guides and a spay handle.

Is that CRAZY?

Where do I buy the supplies for that?

From this related post regarding inspiration for the idea:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Idea for building my first custom rod - by RonPaulFan - 06-18-2019, 02:43 AM