Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florida check in......
Hey folks,

Thought I’d pop in for a quick update, I’ve been in Florida for a little over a month and have been pretty busy with the new job, I should start having more time off in the next few weeks, I have been fishing a little bit when I have the chance, mostly I just fish the beach and some passes when I go out with the family haven’t had any dedicated fishing days (yet). I live about 20 minutes from the gulf so I’m very close, I did find a honey hole yesterday that is about 10 minutes from my house, it is the outflow canal of Lake Tarpon that flows into upper Tampa Bay at Safety Harbor.

I got there about 0730 and there were Tarpon rolling everywhere, I would say in the 15-20 # range but I could not get them to eat, stayed for a few hours but was getting frustrated. The banks are very overgrown with mangroves and I was kicking myself for not bringing my kayak. It is large enough for a boat and when I get my skiff I think I will be hitting this spot a lot. I ran into a local guy who was dragging his kayak down and he gave me the inside scoop he also showed me picture after picture of the large (up to 40”) Snook he has caught here, along with large Tarpon and Jacks. He did warn me of a resident 10’ gator that patrols the area also. After speaking with him and seeing the Tarpon keep rolling I got juiced back up, I walked up the spillway where the fresh water from Lake Tarpon enters the saltwater and watched a well over 100 # Tarpon feeding in the plunge pool.

I finally managed a decent Snook once the tide changed. Started to get hot and headed home, I will definitely start figuring out the tides and the best way to fish this spot in the near future.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Florida check in...... - by remo_5_0 - 08-26-2018, 08:41 AM
Re: [remo_5_0] Florida check in...... - by cje04 - 08-26-2018, 07:38 PM
Re: [remo_5_0] Florida check in...... - by _6x_ - 08-28-2018, 06:38 PM
Re: [_6x_] Florida check in...... - by remo_5_0 - 08-28-2018, 07:25 PM
Re: [remo_5_0] Florida check in...... - by Troll - 08-28-2018, 11:42 PM
Re: [Troll] Florida check in...... - by remo_5_0 - 08-29-2018, 12:24 AM