Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Tubing Trifecta 6-8-23 (With Video)
(LINK TO VIDEO}

So far this year Willard has treated me pretty poorly.  Haven't been able to rocket across the lake to the west side, where most of the action has seemed to be.  So have had to scratch out what I could...where I could.  Haven't been skunked but only 1-3 fish per trip ain't what I'm used to.

Rolled up to the south marina and got launched by 7 am.  Very light breeze and quite a few boats launching early.  Air temp 55...warming about 20 degrees by noon departure.  Water temp rose from 65 to almost 68 while I was on the water.  Love seeing the lake so full.
[Image: WILLARD-LAUNCH-6-8-23.jpg]

Took a bunch of "re-purposed" lures...some old crankbaits collected over the years and then repainted in my better Utah colors.  Also turned some of them into "hybrid" lures...small cranks with 2-hook crawler rigs added.  Plus, had some of my tried and true whirly flig crawler rigs.
[Image: REPAINTED-LURES.jpg]

As I left the marina I fired up the big motor and blasted off across the lake...heading for the productive west side.  Yeah, right.  Being limited in speed and range by my 40# thrust Minnkota electric I set my speed at about 1.5 mph and began trolling cranks as I SLOWLY cruised toward my chosen fishing area for the day.

Wow!  Only a few minutes into the crawl/troll one of my rods went bendo.  Not a wiper or walleye, but a nice porky perch to start the day.  With such an early start I was optimistic...and began seeing more fish on sonar than on previous trips.
[Image: CRANKED-PERCH.jpg]
On my way to my chosen area, I was interrupted again.  This time it was a nice walleye...and on one of my new experimental "hybrid" cranks...with a snap on crawler setup attached.
[Image: WALLEYE-ON-HYBRID.jpg]

Once I got out to my "zone" I was seeing a few fish and getting more bites.  A lot of the bites were the typical "rattle rattle" of pesky perch...but a couple more paid the ultimate price by going in my basket.  And I got another walleye too.
[Image: PERCH-ON-HYBRID-2.jpg] [Image: PERCH-ON-HYBRID.jpg] [Image: WHIRLY-WALLIE.jpg]

Action dropped off about 10ish and I opted to cruise into shallower water to see if there might be something there.  There was.  My last fish was a feisty kitty...on the same whirly flig crawler rig (fire tiger) that had caught my last walleye.
[Image: CAT-WHIRLY.jpg]

Hit the ramp just before noon...with 6 fish.  Best so far this year.  Hoping it gets better for everyone.
[Image: TODAY-S-BASKET.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Willard Tubing Trifecta 6-8-23 (With Video) - by TubeDude - 06-09-2023, 04:13 PM
RE: Willard Tubing Trifecta 6-8-23 - by TubeDude - 06-09-2023, 06:14 PM