Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
When do you plan to go to willard next?
(04-11-2024, 04:15 PM)twoblueeyes78 Wrote: Thanks so much.  I'm trying apply what I've learned in my electronics and how to troll better.

What speed would you recommend to catch catfish this time of year and does that speed change?
In the cooler waters before summer...anything under about 65 degrees...trolling for cats will largely be dragging something close to the bottom...usually at something under 1 mph.  I do a lot by dragging fligs (floating jigs) baited with crawler or chub meat...at between .5 and .75 mph.  And sometimes they will hit after  you stop.  

Once the water warms to late spring/early summer temps the cats are more active and more likely to hit crawler rigs and crankbaits being trolled at higher speeds for walleyes or wipers.  Along with speed are location and depth.  There seem to be a few spots around the lake that usually have more kitties than others.  And they may also be shallower in some areas of the lake than others.  A good sonar and some experimentation is often vital.

Here is my writeup on Willard Bay Cats to supply some more background info.  LINK TO CATFISH

Messages In This Thread
RE: When do you plan to go to willard next? - by TubeDude - 04-11-2024, 05:47 PM