Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
some ice fishing help
fish die off in the middle of summer due to lack of oxigen or contaminants of sorts, weed killer pestisides heavey fertilizers... polution...

the next time you find a fish washed up on shore in the middle of summer grab it, put it on ice, get it to your local fish biologist to find out the cause..

it may turn out that you need a bubbler or fountain in the middler of the shallow lake to get oxigen in to the water... this is especialy the case when the weeds start to die off around the middle of agust... When the weeds begin to die off they actualy suck oxigen out of the water and turn it in to carbon dioxide...

I would asume that because the lake is so shallow that the fish are dieing off from lack of oxigen, the first fish to die off are the biggest ones, there for you may not be able to obtain a 60 inch Pike or Tiger to put all the rest of the fish back in to their place...

as for perch, every thing feeds on them, including gillls and crappie... To bring back a healthy perch population you may need to start a minnow planting regiment... perch feed on minnow and gill and crappie fry, but since gills and crappie grow faster than perch can eat them they may be stunted..

also if you are looking for perch, look for the deapest hole, drill holes from there up to the nearest drop off about every 10 feet and jump back and forth up and down the drop off to hit the perch..

perch move up and down drop offs as aposed to along the shelf as gills and crappie do...

usualy where I find the crappie, if I move a few feet twards deaper water from where I am catching crappie and I find the perch there...

I use a set line with live minnow just a few inches up off the bottom...

use a number 6 arbordeen hook, heavy enough split shot to keep the minnow from pulling it side ways, use a one foot leed on your arbordeen hook
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
some ice fishing help - by straight6pwr - 12-28-2007, 01:24 AM
Re: [straight6pwr] some ice fishing help - by davetclown - 01-10-2008, 12:27 PM