Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly fishing in a shallow pond
Hello everyone,
I am a novice to fly fishing this year and I have been successful in a locally stocked pond feeling the thrill of having a fish on with a fly rod.
I initially tried fishing streams and rivers with a dry fly using a walmart combo fly rod. (8 foot 5/6 weight). This type of fishing is way to difficult for me as a novice so i changed my technique lately in the past two months.

I bought and used 6 weight type II wet cell sinking line in anticipation of fishing Henry's lake. I never made it to henrys but I have been using green caddis nymphs or leach patterns in a cast out and strip in method. Since the line sinks i figured I might as well be stripping in the wet flies. I typically tie two flies linked from the bend of the hook of the first fly and 12" of leader to the next fly. The fishing has been great and what I do works.

My question to fellow fly anglers, how would you fish a pond that is typically 1-3 feet deep on the edges and about 5 feet in the center. I am tempted to put my floating line reel back on and add a dry fly (hopper type) linked to a nymph and do more of a wait and see fishing method instead of stripping in all the time. I might use a float indicator as well but I have seen some surface activity so I think they might go for the hopper.

any feedback would be great.

this pond I fish is fed by springs and does not freeze over. In 30 degree weather it is great because your fly rod eylets do not freeze over too much.

thanks for any feedback or tips,

Match
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Fly fishing in a shallow pond - by MatchT - 12-13-2009, 05:50 PM