Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 5/22
Snuck out to Willard for a few hours today from 3-530. Wasn't sure about the weather so decided to stay on the dike. Tossed out some carp on a flig on one rod, and crawler on the other rod. After an hour or so without any bites, my eyes got wandering and I found an old spinner amongst the rocks. It wasn't in terrible shape, a little rust and an old dull treble. Bait had produced nada to this point, so I pulled in the crawler rig and swapped on the spinner. 4 casts later I hooked into a feisty wiper. Fun fight, but I took it easy not fully trusting the hook integrity. Took some pics and let him catch his breath before swimming away. No other action for the night. Weather stayed mostly dry, and the bugs were tolerable with the light wind. Sometimes the quick little fishing trips end up being worth while.
[signature]
How great is that, find a lure, catch a fish! And a big fish to boot. Nice wiper!
[signature]
That's not fair, that was my spinner[Smile]
[signature]
Very cool story.

Congrats!
[signature]
Methinks you should stop bait-dunking and start hucking![Wink]
[signature]
You're just one of those guys. My granddad was. A fishing buddy of his one day said, "Birney could go right out there on that sidewalk and catch a fish anytime he wants to!" You have the best fishing "luck" of anybody I know, generally speaking. For catfish specifically, look at Ahi, ice_sled and jig-fisher.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.
Those 3 Catfish catchers do have some good luck, sure. But They make most of it themselves by being out on the water or at the river almost every day.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thanks. Not too shabby for my first Willard wiper
[signature]
I'll happily return it. It has served its purpose. Let me know when you want to go fishing and I'll bring it to you.
[signature]
I've often thought that. But honestly I haven't fished enough to develop a strong preference to one style of fishing. I'm trying many different methods. I really enjoy actively working jigs and lures with a rod in my hands and is my current liking, but sometimes it is nice to kick back and just enjoy the scenery while soaking bait. Time will tell. Just have to keep fishing to find out.
[signature]
Thanks. I'll gladly take some of the top contenders luck. Their non bump catfish would be good enough for me. But, I think Tin Can is right. At this point, little of their success comes from luck. They seem to spend many hours improving their fishing skills.
[signature]
Yeah, I know you and Tin-Can are right. That's why I put "luck" in quotation marks. One day when I was out fishing with ice_sled he told me that one year he had caught 700 catfish![fishon][fishon][fishon][fishon][fishon][fishon][fishon][fishon][fishon] Sorry to give away your secret, Ben.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.