Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your favorite kind of cast?
Over the head?

Side Casting?

Or under hand?

I am a side caster. Maybe because I am a tuber. I am curious to hear from some of the fly guys and gals[sly]
[signature]
For spin fishing I usually cast over the head, but slanted at probably about 20* from vertical. Probably about the same for fly fishing but I'm not that great of a caster.
[signature]
I have seen demo's at several shows and watching some of these experts do percise casting. I saw this one guy do it 3 different ways in 1 show. Made me think next time I was tossing plastics to pay attention more on how I was casting.

He stopped that plastic exactley where he wanted. Very impressive.
[signature]
I use different types of casting and they all depend on the situation. Spin casting I usually do from overhead unless on a pier that doesn't permit overhead casting. Then I underhand cast just as far as the fool next to me that is casting against the will of the sign.

My flyfishing cast is at a slight angle and my side arm cast for flipping is at a distinct angle.

My favorite though would have to be the side arm for flipping or spin casting when the clearance doesn't permit the overhead.
[signature]
Most of my casting is overhead due to the areas I go fishing in. If needed, I'll side-cast, such as while in my friends boat. If I'm at the dam, I usually side-cast or under-cast.

I've seen them professionals cast into that travelling aquarium and they are good! Most of the casts are with baitcasting equipment which is gonna be my next purchase. I believe, just by design, you are better able to hit your target with them things.
[signature]
I was watching both the saltwater and freshwater bass tank guys. I mean I even saw him do this flip cast where he held the plastic, bent the pole and released and it landed perfect.

After the demo I asked him if he casted like that just for the show or always. He said he checks his lure,plastic,etc after each cast. So it seemed natural just to put a bend in the pole and sling shoot it out.

Not a good idea for float tubes but might work on a bass boat. I tried it once on a lake and it felt weird. I have not done it since.
[signature]
I match my casts to the situation. Mostly overhand, but have had to adapt for different days, snags, obstructions, or maybe even how many people are in the boat...[sly]
[signature]
yeah, this pro bass fisherman that I was watching cast into the tank a couple months ago was swinging the lizard around in circles with about 2 feet of line hanging off the end of his rod. He'd let go and it would land just inches from the end of the tank. Shows you what is possible if you practice enough. I gotta get out there with my bucket and casting plug!
[signature]
I USE THEM ALL IT DEPENDS ON WHAT I'M THROWING, WHAT I'M THROWING IT WITH, AND WHERE IT NEEDS TO LAND. I LIKE TO GO OUT IN THE YARD AND PRACTICE PUTTING IT WHERE I WANT IT TO LAND.
[signature]
overhead 99% of the time after 25 years of using baitcasters i can put a lure within 2/3" of where i aim never fails to amaze fellow fishermen
[signature]
[size 2]Mine is not listed.. my favorite cast is a successful one! Meaning.. it makes it out into the body of water I am aiming at and not stuck on something behind me or jammed up in my reel![/size]

[size 2]If I have to pick though..... SIDE CASTING....RIGHT SIDE[/size]
[signature]
I mostly am a sidecaster. I guess I will use the over the head when there is no room to sidecast.
[signature]
i USUALLY AM A SIDE CASTER UNLESS THERE IS SOMETHING IN THE WAY PREVENTING IT.
[signature]

When I'm fishing with bait I normally cast over my head. When I fish with lures I normally do a side arm cast unless I'm only making short casts then I start 'flippen'.

For fly fishing I'm almost always casting over my head unless there is brush or other snaggs behind me then I role cast.
[signature]
[cool]Side arm is my preference both for spinning and bait casting. Having a bad rotor finds that recentlyI am coming more to the side when fly casting.
[signature]

Hey there releaseit,

I prefer a full body cast for the guy that steals tackle or buzzes our float tubes.[laugh][laugh]

Different casts for different situations, platforms, gear, etc. But.... I like the 20 percent angled cast like cat_man for conventional freshwater. Underhand or straight overhead for saltwater boat fishing.

JapanRon
[signature]
[Smile]i like the roll cast i fish in a lot of tight streams. trfishin
[signature]