Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oceanside trip report
Back from the trip to Oceanside and it was great. The fishing trip didn't pan out as well as I wanted but we still got to go out. We had a ride out on a 6 person charter for about $100 a head when the boat had engine problems or something so they refunded our money and made sure we got a spot on one of the open party boats. There was supposed to be space for 41 people but on 30 showed up and it made for a much better trip. We took two kids ages 8 & 9 and we'd hook up the fish then give to poles to the kids to reel in the fish. The poles were so heavy with all the tackle on then that it took both kids to reel in the fish. One to hold the pole and one to reel in the fish. The kids had a ball. We caught Ling Cod, Rock Cod, Perch, Salmon Grouper and Barber pole (funny name for a fish) We took home 14 nice sized fish and had a good dinner of fresh fish that night. My brother in law took pictures and I'll get them in a few days.

It was great to get away from the snow for a few days and the day we left (Monday) it was supposed to be 90 degrees! Too hot too early for me!

Now I'm back and work is calling for attention
[signature]
sounds like you had a good time! nothing like salt water fishing.
[signature]
Sweet! Sounds like you had fun!
[signature]
Thanks for the report. It sounds like a fun trip.
[signature]
cod fishing yuck[pirate].. lol glad you had a good time tho..

from the fuzzyfisher-------------------fish on dudes
[signature]
The origonal trip was to take us into Mexican water for tuna, but with the kids it was still fun. I couldn't see one of them pulling up a 100lb tuna.
[signature]
Did the lings have any size to them? I always love to fish for cod up in Oregon. My favorite trip of the year.
[signature]
Have to be a minimun of 24 inches neither one we caught were close to that both were only about 18 inches and the limit is only 2
[signature]
HEY MOOSE, I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT TAKEING THE FAMILY ON THE SAME TYPE OF TRIP. MY SON IS 17 SO WE ARE UP FOR ABOUT ANYTHING. I WOULD LIKE TO DO A TUNA TRIP. WHAT WERE THEY CHARGEING FOR ONE AND WOULD YOU RECOMEND THE CHARTER COMPANY YOU USED. ANY OTHER INFO YOU COULD GIVE ME WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS

ALLAN
[signature]
try here dude

[url "http://www.sport-fish-info.com/fishcnt0.html"]http://www.sport-fish-info.com/fishcnt0.html[/url]

got all the places in cal to fish..

from the fuzzyfisher----------------fish on dudes
[signature]
There are a number of charters out of San Diego look for the open party ones they are usually cheaper.

While I was looking up for fishing info I found you could get a 3/4 day charter for less than $100 (I found several for $59) then add in Calif one day fishing permit $10.50 and a Mexican permit $14. Rod rentals run $10-26 for the trip and then the big fish pot and anything else they can think of. I plan on going again sometime this summer.

Use the internet to find places then email then and ask all your questions. Its best to bring your own tackle if you've got heavy enough stuff but they will answer any questions for you.

While Rock fishing they were using 20lb line and a 6 oz weight below 2 hooks one with sardine the other with squid. The 6 oz weight was just heavy enough but if your lost yor rig they replaced it with a 8 oz weight and that was too much and they charged you $1 a pop for the weight! We had our own weights and kept to the 6 oz. But I tried one rod with the 8 oz and it was too much you could not feel the fish hit the line.

I don't know how they rig for tuna but it would have been fun.

Let us know what you decide on. If I could have gone to fish for tuna it would have been worth it. Make sure you pick a boat that publishes a good fish count. Some do much better than others.

Good luck!
[signature]
Hey Guys I fish So Cal 4-10 times every year. From Dana Point to San Diego. I have been doing it since a young one. I can hook you up with the very best place!!!! out of San Diego. They will be [#ff0000]ON FIRE SOON!!! [/#ff0000][#000000] [/#000000]

Here is a link to my favorite place [url "http://www.seaforth.com/"]http://www.seaforth.com/[/url]

I know most all the boats and captains and the people in the front office who make the reservations. If I can help let me know

pm jrs4x4 or my son jr8fish
Good sized fish, anyway. The biggest Linger I've ever seen is a huge 42" that my mom caught. I like them littler lings. Fun and easy to catch. The regs. are exactly the same in Oregon.
[signature]
nice report dave, glad to hear you had a good time.
[signature]
Sounds like fun. I'm going to SD in June for 2 1/2 weeks and fishing the salt every day. There is a 3/4 day boat to the Coronado Islands out of H&M landing that is an outstanding trip and under $100. It's just into Mexico, so it doesn't have all the California regs. BTW I think there is a complete closure on salmon grouper, but I assume the deck hands knew that. Thanks for the report.

Kayote
[signature]
Hey thats good you had a great time! Cant wait to see your pictures!By the way how did you guys cook those fish?
[signature]
My wife steamed them after they were marinated. Very tender and tasty. The kids ate em up and left hardly any for the 4 adults. We weren't sure the kids would like them because when we had fish before they just picked at it and didn't really eat any. But with these you wouldn'ty want to get a arm in the way of their plate or you might have lost it!
[signature]
[url "http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fg_comm/2004/oceanfish04.html#2855"]http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fg_comm/2004/oceanfish04.html#2855[/url]

Here are the fishing regualtion for California. We just caught fish and left it up to the deck hands to tell us what we could keep.
[signature]
Sounds like you are having a blast!!!! I would like to get in some Salt Water fishing soon. But i will continue to hit places here in SLC to pick up on the fishies. Give me a PM when you get back and we will have to go get some fishies.
[signature]
Hey Polo I'm back this trip was Sunday. I'm still waiting for my brother-in-law to send me the pictures. I'd like to see what he got. It was more important for the kids ato have fun after the initial trip for tuna was cancelled.

The weather was great, fishing was fine the only problem was I forgot to bring the salsa!
[signature]