Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maniacs on the ice !! Strawberry report 12/26/2004
Fished from 8:00am till noon today at Strawberry . Took my boy out , but he just hung out most of the time .MGB found us and fished near by , and I believe Coldfooter cruised by with the Hilton today . Fishing was great . No fish over the slot but lots of 20"ers . Fished Minnows , paddlebugs , Genz worms and Maniac stick baits . Drop shotting Maniacs in Predator salt sticks worked quite well . My pics didn't turn out that well , but here is a few . I caught about 35 fish today . My boy went up to the marina store to get some goodies and heard someone drove a 4 wheeler out on the ice and broke thru east of the marina this morning . The 2 people on the wheeler jumped off right as it broke thru . I looked for the hole but was unable to find it . Thin ice is still out there people , so be careful . Looked like it is all capped now but thin out in the main lake .
[signature]
Forgot to downsize the pics so here they are .
[signature]
Nice pics. You must have pretty tough fingers to be lipping a troutski like that! How deep were you fishing?
[signature]
[green][size 2]I decided to stay in bed at 5am when the alarm went instead of heading to the "daBerry" the last to days. So, I got sick[blush]. I should of took two poles....

Randy, I was thinking of running into you up there today. It looks like you had fun. Well, it going to be New Years day for me the next time I see the ice. [/size][/green]

[signature]
i was up there today as well chicken creek east with fishcrazy also saw petty4life and yper and son we didn't as well as you guys only 17 between the two of us big thanks to yper for the handout of some shinners
[signature]
cbr and i hit soilder creek first thing this morn meet up with mateo ( mat) great guy had his 2 girls and his son out there. we nailed 3 bows at soilder creek i got 2 cutts one was 21 so close then we hit chicken creek east cbr landed 3 cuts around 20 in and i only got a couple more bites talked aquaman and and someone else at the end ( sorry forgot your name my bad) all in all a good day very little w to bad i missed you jason you must have left early
oh mat thanks again for that great beer i hope you and your family got into some fish looking forward to fishing with you again
[signature]
it was good to see ya and talk to you again chris.
[signature]
Yep that was us. My brother, nephew and I drug our butts up and hit the ice about 10:30-11:00 and pulled out about 4:00. We didnt slay em today, we only iced around 30 I suppose. I didnt keep an exact count, and all were slots.
No Bows
We did the best on sweetened Paddle bugs or Crickets and it didnt seem to matter whether we loaded an entire shinner or chunks.

MGB; it was good to meet you. How ya do after we pulled out?
[signature]
It was some fast fishing today. Landed a couple that where 21.5". Caught over 35 cutts no bows. After HA69 left a guy fishing near by came over to see how we where catching so many fish so I gave him a piece of minnow to tip his jigg and he droped it down the hole HA69 had been fishing out of and landed a bow with in a few minutes. Randy you where not even in your truck yet when he caught the bow out of your hole. Fishing was fast untill around 3:00 and only caught about 3 more after Coldfooter left. Good to finally meet you Coldfooter.

Heres a pic of one of HA69 cutts that he caught on a maniac and another pic of the rainbow HA69 missed out on with the Hilton in the back ground. Plus a couple other fatties.
[signature]
[cool]Nice report, Mike. Looks like you and HA69 really nailed 'em today! I've gotta get me some of those Maniac worms. Looks like you were using a white color? Also looks like the there's fast fishing right now at the marina, eh? That place is always good at first ice on, but once the masses find out that it has safe ice (in a week or two) it will drastically slow down when there's 200 people there and snowmobiles, atv's, and power augers everywhere. But, right now? Holy cow, that looks like the place to go! Congrats on a great day!!
[signature]
How good was the ice there? I read earlier an ATV went through or something near the marina, etc.

F4F
[signature]
I thought my hands were tough enough but I was bleeding all over everything . I believe I was fishing 28 or 29' of water .

MGb , I thought I was out to deep to find any bows . LOL
[signature]
It was 6" of ice just down the boat ramp , but I went to the right (west) towards the bay . With it getting ready to dump snow this week . I wanted to see where the new ice is .
[signature]
The ice was 4"-6" like HA69 said. You need to watch out if you go east from the boat ramp. I seen a group of people walk all the way across the lake from the boat ramp to just west of Haws point.
[signature]
Any of you heading up tomorrow? Either hitting the Marina or Mud Creek... now have a decision to make in the a.m.

F4F
[signature]
Great report 69 ! It looks like you guys had alot of fun up at the Berry. I think I better round up some troops, and get in on the fun myself. It seems those maniacs catch trout through the ice as well ! Maybe we should have a contest, to see who can catch the biggest trout through the ice on a maniac worm.. prize being $25.00 worth of maniac lures of the winners choice of colors,types and sizes. tell me what you guys think. I will throw in a free bag of worms to hellsangler69, for being the first to post a pic of a maniac catch through the ice.
[signature]
After last week I hooked a few cutts on 3" tube jigs and minnows up to 4" long , I thought I would give them a shot . I think they worked great . No extra bait needed , just 3" salt stick in the #036 - Predator color whacky style with a little split shot . Most of the time they would hit it soon as it got close to the fish . But a little jerk every now and then didn't hurt getting them to eat it . All fish caught on the Maniac were 20" to 21" cutts . What a blast . Wish I had the whole week off .
[signature]
Thanks for the info H69 I will have to give them a try through the ice as well ! Do you want that bag of worms now or later. I am going to be adding reapers, a new strait tail worm and possibly some curl tail grubs and tubes, to my web site if you want to wait? Send me a p.m to let me know.
[signature]
Chris I am glad the shinner's worked for you and Mike. It was also good to fish with you again, and hope you will have sometime this ice season to fish Rockport, East Canyon and many others with us again. It sound as though we left to early yesterday and missed the late bite.
[signature]
Fished chicken creek west from 11:00 to dusk. At the edge of safe ice water was only 8' deep. The fishing was pretty slow, six total, all upper slot cuts 19 to 21 inches except one cutbow that went 26" and tipped the scales at just over 7 lbs. There were eight other guys there fishing. They were doing about the same as I did between two to six fish all in the slot all cuts.

I really hope they email me the pics of that cutbow. I couldn't find my digital camera.

All in all well worth the walk for that cutbow.[cool]

Bigpapafish
[signature]