Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 5-6, Chicken Creek East - wow
Launched pontoon about 8am, within 15 minutes I was fighting the biggest fish I have caught in years. It took about 20-25 min. When I finally landed it, it was rainbow 23 inches 6+ pounds according to my little scale. In the first hour I landed 4 fish. I was using a black wooly bugger with blueish sparkle and a silver cone head. I didn't keep track of the number I caught but I never changed flies and was catching fish pretty steady. Besides the big bow, I caught 4 cutts in the size of 24-26 inch range. The battle was wonderful for all the fish. My buddy also caught a couple cutts over 23 inch. They were mostly in 5-10 feet of water. My arm was sore the next day. If this is a sign of how great the season is going to be, there will be lots of great days fishing.
[signature]
Alright, where are all the pics? You can't give a report like this without some eye candy.
[signature]
20-25 min for a 23" fish?

That many cutts 24-26"?

Just sayin'.

Sounds like one heck of a day! Sign me up!
[signature]
picture coming of the bow. It's on the home computer.
[signature]
Sounds like a lot of fun!!! I am heading up tomorrow but not sure where I am going to fish. Were you using sinking fly line and if so what sink type were you using? And were you casting and stripping it in or just kicking around trolling. Did they like it fast or slow, regular or irratic??

Also, are there good places to bank fish at CCE? My dad will be land bound while I'm in the tube..... Thanks!
[signature]
Trolled slow, caught them kicking or when using my motor on 1.
The hits weren't real hard but only missed a few.
Line was slow sinking
While trolling, I would jerk the line about every 30 seconds or so and let the line back down slowly.
A couple of the smaller cutts were jumping like the bows do. The large ones didn't want to come to the top of the water.
We were between 10 to 50 yards off the shore.
Shore fish on the North end from the bathroom on the land that divides C/C east and west, its a nice little walk. People there were using maribu jigs and having good luck.
Good luck.
[signature]
I think I have one of your flies, did you happen to break one of them off? Evening of the 5th stopped at CCE and caught a 20" cutt on a fly. When I removed my fly there was a black crystal conehead bugger, about a size 6 in its mouth, not rusted at all. Wonder what the odds are of that being your fly? If not yours, that's seems to be a popular fly.

Fished Sat evening at CCE and a few other spots, fishing much slower, caught a couple 20" cutts but nothing nearly as good or big as the couple days before. The lake will be turning over in a few days to a week and then fishing will shut down for a couple of weeks.
[signature]
How soon do you think it will turnover? There are a couple of us headed up Friday with our boats to try our luck. Hopefully it will be worth the 2 and half hour drive.