Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LB Kitty Floatilla Report 7-8-06
[cool][#0000ff]Wow, what a turnout and what a great get together. I won't even try to remember all the names of the BFTers who joined us, either on the water, on the bank or at the food fest. I also apologize that I did not get pics of everybody. I was busy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There were a few early birds but most of the gang showed up around 7 and we were launched and fishing by 8. Some were in larger boats, some in smaller boats, kayaks, tubes or toons. Still others fished from the point of the boat channel jetty. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most caught fish. Some more than others. TubeBabe was top rod, with 7 channel cats and 1 mudder for the 3 hours we fished. I scratched out 5 channels and 3 mudders. TubeBabe had a couple of 5 pound females, along with some smaller ones. I had a couple around 3 pounds, but the others were only about 1.5 to 2 pounds. Just right for the table.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]8incher and PACKFAN both headed out in their boats for other parts of the lake and both returned with several nice cats for the fillet session. I kept the old portable electric fillet knife humming for awhile. Lots of nice bullheads from assorted members too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks to everyone who brought goodies to the party. We reserved the pavillion at Lincoln Beach and we had lots of salads and dessert items to eat along with the kitty krispies. A special thanks to CarpPunisher and Mrs. CP for the great dutch oven taters they whupped up for us. Really topped off the meal.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was great to meet some new BFTers and the weather was great. I started my anti-W dance over a month ago and it really seemed to work. Hardly a ripple on the water all morning.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Everybody pretty much disappeared after the eats so we did not get in the evening fishing. I think all the rowdies got wore out.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here are a few pics I took. Any attendees who want to post their own private results, pics and observations, have at it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[Wink]It was great fun meeting everyone! The weather conditions were great and the catching was fun. We had planned to go back out in the evening, but after the fun morning fishing, cooking, eating and socializing, it sounded like a better idea to pack it up and go home. There were several PWC's that moved in where we'd been fishing so I doubt it would have been very productive. Until next time ...
[signature]
it looks like everyone had a great time. i sure wish i could of made it but i had to teach welding school again. seems like every time something good is happening, it always happens on a saturday.
oh well there is always next time. i thought that i could smell the kitty krisps. glad you had a great turn out tubedude, tubebabe
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [cool]
[signature]
Wish i coulda been there.[unsure] Looks like everyone had a good time.
[signature]
Great day on the water. Good to meet other BFT members too. I headed out to Bird Island with three grandkids and we had a ball. Picked up a few pointers form TD on filleting -- gotta have one of those nuclear powered filleting knives-- and paid attention when TD and TB cooked up the fillets. Very good grub. Two grandsons had to leave for an ATV expedition with their parents just as the cooking oil was heating up. They were really bummed out when they had to miss the grub. We had filled up on fish and taters when I noticed my other grandson loading up a plate of fillets again. When I asked him why he wanted more he said they were so good he had to take some home to his mom and dad.

One observation... I noticed that every time we reeled in a nightcrawler baited hook the white bass would hit them. I'll bet we could have hammered them if we had taken the time to put on some silver. Gotta go back.

Thanks again to all who helped make it a nice trip.
[signature]
Had a great time, although I couldn't buy a bite. The grandson caught a couple mudders so he was happy. Sorry, I didn't hang around for the food and to share the goodies that I brought for the pot luck. You guys are stronger than I am, about two minutes with those swarming insects and I had had enough.
[signature]
MEGGA KUDOS to TD and TB for the best experiance I have had this whole summer ! It was a great pleasure to meet you both and hook up with Carp Punisher for the first time. Not to mention Garth and his wife..... sorry Garth, can't remember your screen name[crazy]

I did get some movie trac and some little still shots with my cam. As soon as I get it all down loaded and split from other things, I will post them.

I hope I got a shot of everyone that were getting ate by D bugs... God only knows how many I ate.....[unsure] CP I will still take you up on the $50 to lick the pole...LOL

To end this, I want to let you know that the guy that got the ticket for his car registration.... It's my fishen buddies brother in law and we are now hooked up to to some boat fishin.....

Thanks TD and TB for a wonderfull time. Im sorry I had to leave for a wedding thingy. Let's try and make this a annl thing...... I will bring a special treat. (It's an Awsome pasta salad)

CP and CP wife, thanks for the AWSOME taters!!!!! I want to live with you...LOL

Law
[signature]
The big congrats goes out to you TB for showing a few of us up,, me big time,, as usual..

Hey it was great hookin' up with TB and you again Pat. Whats more, there was actual water under our butts this go-round. Thanks again for hooking up the bro and me with a bit of bait and the super shine...

It was also great to hook a face with a couple names I hadnt met in the past and I wish I could have stuck around to met everyone..
[signature]
Sure looks like it was a bunch of fun. Would have been nice to be able to make it down.
[signature]
Well bud, sorry I couldn't make it. You know how family affairs and obligations go. It sure sounds like it was a great get together. Good on ya.
Leaky
I want to thank TubeDude and TubeBabe for a great day at Lincoln Beach fishing for and eating those Kitties. It was nice to put faces with the names. The food was great. I've never tasted better catfish TD and I think I had 3 helpings of those great Dutch Oven Taters. I would love to do this again, I know the bugs were a little bad but at least they didn't bite. Pac Lady and I haven't fished Utah Lake for Cats for years and we really enjoyed it. I think we ended up with 4 channel cats and one mud cat. I know it's a little early yet but I mentioned to Tube Dude and Tube Babe that I would like to set up an ice fishing trip this winter to Pelican Lake. Pac Lady and I always make an annual trip to Pelican ice fishing every year, usually in Jan. We usually have pretty good success with the blue gill and largemouth bass. I'll bring it up later in the year, I was just wondering how many BFT'Rs might be interested. Once again TD and TB thanks for a great day and we hope to see you on the water.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I think the Pelican Lake thing is a great idea. Hope the gas prices drop (yeah, right!) a bit before then.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Actually, there is no reason why we can't set up a BFT calendar with meetup trips to most of the popular lakes, keyed to the months when the fishing is EXPECTED to be best. We already have the second annual wiper derby in the books. We have several informal gatherings around Utah Lake each year. Why not add Pelican, Starvation, Yuba, Fish Lake, Da Gorge, Pineview, Strawberry, Jordanelle, Deer Creek, Huntington and others?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The last couple of years we have also had walleye flotillas in October. The kitties are usually still hitting (slowly) then, so we fish for walleyes early and then cats after the water warms a couple of degrees later in the day. Maybe we can do something more ambitious with that this year.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Wow, what a great time. I'd like to thank Tubedude and Tubebabe for getting this outting all set up and cooking those awesome catfish crispy thinggies.

The wife had a good time, especially since she whooped me bad, she ended up with 8 mud cats and I ended up with a big fat zero. Unless you count the nice fines I'll get to pay...compliments of the friendly neighborhood Sheriff.

It was really nice meeting every one, and we're looking forward to doing it again real soon.

Garth
[signature]
Sounds like a great time was had by all. Wish I could have been there, but like many of you I had family obligations.

The last time I fished Utah Lake, it was with the 'Dude himself, and gratefully he brought the peanut oil, deep fryer, and his Kitty Krispies recipe already mixed up in a Ziploc bag. Without a doubt it was the best catfish I've ever eaten or will probably ever eat.

It's great that all of you had such a nice time.

I'll chime in here and say that I'd certainly appreciate it if we had more BFT outings, especially at other waters. The waters that TubeDude mentioned would be great to visit as a group and get in some fishing and dining.

Anyway, nice post and pictures, Mr. TD.
[signature]
[cool]Packfan, glad you guys had fun and success Saturday at Lincoln. I went out on the evening crew, and after discovering that when I cleaned out my trunk the other day looking for the other bolt for my fishfinder, I forgot to put my fins back in the car!! DOOOOEEEE!!!!![pirate] So, I was a member of the "just sit there" crew and couldn't do my usually bait dragging on the bottom routine, and consequently didn't catch a damn thing the whole night. Neither did anybody else in my crew, and the bank tanglers didn't fair a ton better with just a few mud cats here and there. Wish I could have made the morning trip with you guys.

REGARDING THE FUTURE PELICAN ICE TRIP: Heck yeah, I'm very interested. Wanted to make it out last year, but money was tight and I also couldn't get the time. This year, I will call in sick to work if I have to, but I wanna catch some of those record bluegills, and largemouths as well. We'll have to get in touch around December/January, eh? I've never been there, but plan on rectifying that this year for sure!

Good luck on your next trip out.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Geoff, sorry we all bugged out on ya Saturday. Everyone was already "over-funned" and overfed after the meal was over. Most folks had other things to attend to in the late afternoon or evening and TubeBabe and I weren't too motivated to go back out and contest our right to be there with all of the PWC that had taken a liking to our fishing area.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sorry too that you forgot your fins. Maybe someday you will listen to me and make a checklist to review before each trip. Us old guys HAVE to do that, but even younger fellers can benefit from having reminders. Actually, if you go fishing more often, some of that checklist becomes automatic and you have less chance of leaving something important behind. I recommend that you go fishing more. Tell your wife I said so.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Even before a winter trip to Pelican, we have to maybe do a perch trip to Jordanelle...followed by a cookemup. Then, there is the big trout finale on Yuba in the late fall...with maybe a pike or two. We could also have a fish cookery after that. Maybe some grilled trout.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There's always the fall fishing at Strawberry too. Used to make up a bunch of pigout perch chowder in advance and heat it up after a nippy fall fishing session on Da Berry. Really takes the chill off.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Of course, if you really get to hankerin' for some 'gills and bass, we could always hit Mantua on short notice. Costs a lot less for gas than a trip to Pelican.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, it was great meeting you and your uberfishing wife. I sympathize with your ego whacking. My wife outfished me (and everybody else) on Saturday. Makes it easier to live with her, but still smarts a bit.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bummer about the too-serious sheriff. Those guys have discretion on how they enforce the laws. I think he might have overdone it a bit. The Barney Fife syndrome. Hope it ain't too costly. You need to save your money for a couple of float tubes...and a 6 foot long lip gripper for your wife, so she will handle her own fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you liked the vittles. Everything that everybody brought was great. I repeat how great those dutch oven taters were that Mr. and Mrs. CP put together. Really a good go-together with fried catfish.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Yeah, I know about the checklist. Silly me didn't go over my memorized one well enough. I usually keep everything tube-wise in my trunk so I can go at a moments notice, but like I said, my nut/bolt thing that goes on the side of my finder fell off at Mantua when the jackarse Mantua p.d made me get my car off the side of the beach to load up my stuff. So, I searched through my whole trunk and in the process forgot to put my flippers back in.

There is definitely a lot more fishing to be done this year before the ice-on, and I'm excited about it. I definitely want to hit Jordy for some smallies and perch next month sometime, and another trip to Mantua is in order too. Strawberry in the fall sounds GREAT!! I'm about to post up a link to an article in the deserted news from Thursday that's an update from the DWR on the cuts and chubs situation. Good read.

Glad you guys got into the cats on Saturday and that all had fun!
[signature]
I guess I better quit lurking and start posting, since I've now hung out with some real in-the-flesh BFTers.

Thanks to Tubedude and all for all the work, it was a fun time, the catfish were mighty tasty and if y'all haven't heard by now the dutch oven taters were also very tasty.

I was the guy on the yellow kayak, and this beginner managed to catch two mudcats, on shrimp, up in Benjamin Slough.

The two I caught were suicidal, I jerked the hook away from one, and pulled it away a second time, so he helped me out the third time by swallowing the hook.

The other had swallowed the hook while my rod was resting in a holder, I didn't even know I had a fish on.

Even a blind dog gets a bone once in a while.

I was hoping to catch some crawdads and add them to the feast, but my crawdad trap (baited with chicken liver) caught zero dads but two more mudcats. The cats in the trap were bigger than the ones I got with a rod!

None were big enough to eat and went back in the water.

Thanks to all, I had fun, and can't wait to get back out there.I took delivery of a brand new kayak just today, so I have a perfect excuse to go fish, fish, fish.
[signature]
Had a great time as always even if I couldn't hook the broad side of a barn all morning. Was nice to meet new people and watch some wives outfish the lot of us. CP you were right it is a nice new tube you bought but I don't think your going to get to keep it. I think your wife has first call on it.[sly] Anyone who couldn't attend missed out on a lot of good food and fun. As one of the last to leave I know we ran out of people long before we ran out of food.
[signature]