Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two rods???
Most fishermen can't even handle one rod. And what about all the people who cry, "I can only reel with my left (or right) hand."[Sad] "I'm used to holding the rod with my right (or left) hand."[Sad] I hear this crap every week. But now, all of a sudden everyone can fish with two rods? Give me a break. Fishing is a one-rod, two-hand operation. And, now the snaggers will have a field day jerking treble hooks up and down, with a rod in each hand!

If you're bait fishing for a mess of fish to take home, I can understand putting out two lines and setting down the rods. If you're trolling, drag the whole tackle box at every depth, I guess. Other than that, two rods is rediculous.

(Hey, it's getting cold, and I've still only had a handful of fishermen on my boats in the last 25 years that can handle one rod, so now I've vented and feel better.)[laugh]
[signature]
I agree with you for the most part. 2 poles is tough to handle. It's nice to be able to try different baits and lures though to see what's working at the time.
[signature]
[reply]
And, now the snaggers will have a field day jerking treble hooks up and down, with a rod in each hand!

[/reply]

If your referring to the FG. The snaggers already have that option. So they gained nothing with next years change...

I have to say theres a lot of folk's that merely want to catch fish. They dont want to spend a life time honing their fishing skills, they just want to catch a fish now and then.. For them the advantage of two rods baited and waiting offers them twice the chance to grin widely at days end. I dont know, is it a good thing, perhaps, perhaps not. But I bet it adds jingle to the bottom line for the state of Ut..
[signature]
You have a point. I don't think we will see as much of an increase in results as many think. When ice fishing, (as well as soft water angling) one of the biggest keys to catching a lot of fish is attention to detail. Subtle observations result in more hookups due to the almost imperceptible bites usually seen. I can't help but think that managing 2 poles will cause one to lose some of that needed attention. I'm still anxious to try though, and will get a 2nd rod permit myself.
[signature]
Provided that the creel limits don't change, I don't see the difference between using one rod or two--especially in my case where I will be able to NOT catch fish twice as fast.[Tongue]
[signature]
For me personally, the only advantage is to troll with two different lures (or colors) to see what the fish want.Once I find the one they want, I will troll with one rod with the chosen lure.Everytime I try to fish with two rods and both get bit, it ends up a Chinese fire drill and I end up either not hooking either one or losing both!!!That is why I stopped getting a two pole permit.
[signature]
I totally agree that being about to troll with 2 rods will be helpful. Also, harvesting stripers at Lake Powell. I also like the idea of being able to through out some bait to let soak, and still be able to work a lure.
[signature]
I would bet that more people troll rather than jig and with two rods you can troll two different depths and/or baits. Even for jigging I like using two rods for the reasons others have stated. Remeber you are the VERY minority with your specialized jigging technique/hookset which you like people to use two hands! Most people are happy fishing without a guide using one rod for jigging and the other to soak a cisco, drown a nightcrawler, or dunk some powerbait. Even on a restrictive limit water like Bear Lake (two trout limit) two rods will not show any biological impact. I'm sure everyone has an opinion on this, but BIOLOGICALLY speaking the two pole regulation will not likely make much of an impact. However, as most of us know, nothing is totally black and white in biology and I am sure if something is amiss down the road the regs will be adjusted accordingly.
[signature]
I will get a two pole permit for two reasons. One is for lake powell. The poor shad are being murdered as we speak and need help. Yes, this body of water has been a two pole area so will not be affected. The other place I will still use it is for wipers at Willard. Once again, Two pole body of water already.

I agree with ya Jim, Most of us struggle with one pole, watching and giving it the attention that it needs, I think alot will try it and then end up pulling one out when they cant keep track of both. I can't walk and chew gum at the same time let alone fish with two poles!

See ya in July to try and handle one pole!

RILEY
[signature]
I wholeheartedly agree this will not have a negative biological effect. The creel limits, as mentioned earlier, remain the same. Some just think they'll catch their limit faster. [laugh][laugh]

In fact, I'd bet it will actually DIMINISH the catch of what most consider "quality" fish for those trying to fish with two poles. Yes, you will likely catch more fish faster with two soaked bait rods out, and might get more bites/fish while trolling just due to the law of averages, but that's about it.
[signature]
It sounds like the main point is you are sore on snaggers period? I guess maybe capturing some video footage of the law breakers and providing it to the local Warden(s) might be a better thought. I have not seen many people jigging or snagging with 2 poles before ever at the same time.
[signature]
I like two poles because I can drag a worm or minnow and fish with a jig or spinner at the same time. It takes a little practice. The fishermen that don't pay attention to one pole will not pay attention to two either. I believe that two poles can be fished at the same time, you just have to be more attentive. I mainly fish waters that already have a two pole rule. I'm looking forward to fishing others the same way. I think this change was pushed through by fishermen that brought it up at the RAC meetings. Great job whoever it was!
[signature]
2 rods ice fishing tipped jigs isnt so tuff if they are dead sticked. but jigging 2 rods takes moore focus than most very exp anglers posses. most people who try it will lern 2 isnt always better unless dead sticked. unless its perch then 2 makes a big differance. another thing 2 is good for is differnt depths. at rock port the perch are 50 close to the bottom the trout 20 or less. so this will get people in 2 diffent stike zones upping chances of harvest.
[signature]
The subject of 2 pole comes up again. trolling, it might help you get more fish and loose more fish. soaken bait, it will help you get more fish and possible injure/kill more fish. jigging, it's a 1 pole job, to be affective anyway. trying to jig with 2 poles might hurt your catching rate.
later chuck
[signature]
[reply]
[size 1]And, now the snaggers will have a field day jerking treble hooks up and down, with a rod in each hand! [/size]
[/quote]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]If I'm not mistaken, Flaming gorge has been a two pole lake for some time now? So I'm assuming this has been going on already. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I doubt I'll use two poles all the time. I won't use it on Strawberry where a slot limit is in place and the chance for a unattended bait soaking rod can be inhaled to the gills by a fish that should be released unharmed. I see where this two pole law will actually damage some fisheries.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Who here has fished five rods on the ice in Idaho? Now that's a clustter F!@#! That's been going on in Idaho for a lot of years. No thanks. I'll go to the Delta Center to see the circus.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Like I said, I'll use two rods when trolling some waters but I doubt I'll used it everytime I go out. One rod is all I can keep keep track of most of the time plus I'm in no hurry to catch every fish I can.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[#505000]I gotta repectfully disagree with the original post. [Smile][/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]I fish two poles all the time on Utah Lake. Usually one bait, and toss plastics with the other. Sometimes I doublt bait. Sometimes I even get double hook ups. They aren't that tough to manage.[/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]As far as the new waters I can do this on it allows me to soak some bait and toss some plastic at the same time. Now I get to fish two styles on EVERY water I fish. For me it means I don't have to antagonize over what style to use.[/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]Nothing worse than tossing plastic wondering if I should be soaking bait or vice versa.[/#505000]
[signature]
The situation where 2 rods are really useful to me is ice fishing. I almost always fish 2 rods where permitted. It lets you actively jig one, while dead sticking the other and lets you figure out which presentation the fish want. If they want a dead stick presentation you can set both down. If they want it actively jigged there are usually still some fish that are attracted to the area by the jigging of the one rod you're actively working, but that will hit the dead stick. I don't think there are very many folks who can effectively jig 2 rods at once. And I don't think that was the thinking behind the change.
[signature]
I haven'te purchased a 2-pole permit for many years, since I don't get out enough to make it worth it these days.

When I did, I used it a lot for catfish at Utah lake. I'd toss a worm on one pole and carp meat on the other pole. That way I could figure out what was working best that day. Sometimes it would get so fast action that I'd have to bank one pole and just fish with one cause I couldn't handle them both. Usually, though, fishing is not that fast, and it is very useful to try different techniques to find out which is working best on a given day.

I like the new changes. It makes it more worth it to buy a 2-pole permit. However, I'm sure it will result in a tiny bit more fish mortality, especially with trout, but not enough to make a noticeable difference.
[signature]
[cool]I totally agree with you, Don. On the ice this year (after Jan 1, that is) I'll be jigging one rod and deadsticking the other. For perch fishing, this will greatly improve the harvest rate (especially at lakes where the DWR doesn't want the perch, such as Mantua, and Jordanelle), and for trout fishing, I think it will let me know how they(the fish) want it presented, either deadsticking or jigging. In my experience, usually the trout like it slightly lifted (jigged) every minute or two then let it sit on most days, but there are some where deadsticking is what they want.

I'm really excited about the new law, but like some of the others have also stated, I won't always have two rods in the water when I'm out there.
[signature]
I for one am really looking forward to it. I use two rods whenever and wherever I legally can. A lot of waters that are allowed have multiple species of fish and you can be fishing for different species at the same time.
I'm really looking forward to ice fishing Jordanelle this year with this new rule. I can have my bigger Brown trout presentation down there while I'm having fun catching those pesky Perch!
And I'm looking forward to Strawberry also ice fishing. I'll either jig one and dead stick the other, or have two different presentations, or even hold them at different depths.
By the way, I harvested a fish from Strawberry my last time out. It was a 24"+ fish. When I got it home and cleaned it, I found a "mostly digested" 3" tube jig inside it...WITH the lead jighead still inside it! I was amazed to see that the hook part of the jighead was mostly dissolved. All that really remained of the jighead was the lead. The whole setup was "on its way out" of the fish...along with some other regular looking stuff. Even though I don't baitfish with treble hooks at Strawberry, I've still had to cut a few jigs off due to the fish swallowing it. I always wondered before what kind of chance that fish had of surviving, and now I'm a little more optimistic about the outcome of those fish that swallow the jig.
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.