Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scardon River, Cape York, Austaralia.
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Good friend Stuart & I got away for a three-day camp at the Scardon River. For us the Scardon River was a three-hour trip north of Weipa. The Scardon is well known for the schools of Permit that congregate on the flats, gutters & around the sand bars of the river mouth. Unfortunately the weather was against us with 20 to 25 knot winds & cloudy skies for all of the three days. We decided we’d had come to far not to have a go at these exclusive fish. We spent a couple of hours cruising the shallow we did manage to spot two free-swimming fish then a large school. However on both occasions the fish disappeared into the shadows cast from the heavy clouds overhead. We found a perfect location a drop-off on the edge of a sand bar both Stuart and I scanned the water we spotted a school of fish in the distance I dropped the anchor and we waited for the fish to come to us. With the clouds now thicking the patch of fish where constantly appearing in & out of sight however they where still heading straight towards us, once they where with-in casting range I made the cast, the shrimp pattern landing about a metre from the lead fish. The school where all over the fly, I felt a take and lifted the rod tip. The fish immediately spate the fly so I lifted the fly out of the water and recast, again the fly landed in close proximity to the school and they where all over it for a second time with the mistake of my last attempt firmly in my mind I striped strike and pulled up tight to a fish in the center of the school. “ I have got a Permit”, I yelled. Stuart grabbed the video camera and recorded the fight it wasn’t long before the fish was bought into view. A “Golden Trevally” I remember Eddie Riddle from “Fish & Four Wheels” doing the same thing however he was on national TV. As afternoon went on the cloud cover increased so we decide to cut or loses and fish the river & maybe the weather would improve. Which it didn’t.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][Image: CopyofIMG_1682.jpg][/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Southern bank of the Scardon River.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][Image: CopyofIMG_1680.jpg][/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Northern bank.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][Image: CopyofIMG_1621-1.jpg][/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]One of the many Mangrove Jacks.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][Image: CopyofIMG_1629.jpg][/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Stuart with a Jack maybe the one that bit him?? “ That’s another story”[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][Image: CopyofIMG_1639.jpg][/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Caught a few Finger Mark. [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][Image: Copy2ofIMG_1651.jpg][/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Stuart’s metre + Queenfish. Or is that a Barramundi? That’s another another story.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][Image: CopyofIMG_1683.jpg][/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]A Good Grunter..[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]We caught a few good size Tarpon & Barramundi but was having to much fun to stop for photo’s..[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][Image: IMG_1608.jpg][/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][Image: CopyofIMG_1662.jpg][/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]The end of a hard fishing day.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][Image: CopyofIMG_1653.jpg][/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Can wait to do it again!![/font][/size]
[signature]
Nice Report and Pics Strikezone. Thanks for sharing again.

What weight of flyrods are you normally using??? What weight range do you prefer to use???[cool]
[signature]
8 & 9 wt for most fishing, I have a 6 that I love to use however the big saltwater flies we use can be hard the cast in the wind.

Tuna fishing we use 10 to 12wt's
[Image: CopyofIMG_1555.jpg]
[signature]
[Image: CopyofIMG_1513.jpg]

Long Tail Tuna
[signature]
Right on Mate. I thought I was the only one that used over a 9wt. I use an 6 or 7 for surf fishing in Southern California but I step it up to my 11wt when I am fishing for Halibut.

We get Halibut anywhere from 10 to 50lbs and they require a good stick to get em in.

G'day.[cool]
[signature]
Very Nice Strike! Two words for you

[font "Arial"][red][size 6]JEAL OUS![/size][/red][/font]
[signature]
Great report and great looking fish.. and I am with FG... I am JEALOUS [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Just hang in there Macfly. Once we can get together and hit the beach areas, you too can post some BigFish pics up there from the flyswatter.[cool]
[signature]
[cool] I am being patient my friend.. you do realize of course that once we hook up I will be in your pocket forever..... [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I realized that from the beginning. That is why I am getting bigger pockets installed on my fly vest as well as my Float Tube.[Tongue]....[cool]
[signature]
lol... just be happy that I am a willing novice that wants to learn.. and learn.. and learn.. lol.. [shocked]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I'll be glad to teach you the West Coast tactics. Then we can go to the East Coast and have a little get together with our other Brothers on that side and have a Saltwater Shootout.[cool]
[signature]
lol...IM barely scratching the surface of freshwater and now you are talking saltwater on the East coast... and my wife says I move to fast.. lol.. I mean I am thinking of ordering in that fly tying set FG showed us and I have not even caught a good sized fish yet... [laugh]

MacFly [cool][cool]
[signature]