Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
type of hooks for croakers
what size hooks are best for croakers and should i use baitholder or circle hooks when using bloodworms, squis, and shrimp for bait. also are red hooks that much a difference???
[signature]
Welcome aboard bigpapamd1 and thanks for the question.

I used to fish alot for Croakers. Are you fishing for the White Croaker, Yellow Croaker or the Spotfin Croaker??

What area are you fishing for them also?

If you want a good hook, you don't need to use red hooks for Croakers. They are bottom feeders and don't hunt by site anyways.

I usually use the #4 or #6 Mustad 9174 hooks. They are strong and inexpensive.

Croakers have small mouths and can spit out a circle hook in a heart beat. Go with the live bait hooks. Squid will be all you need for them as far as bait goes.[cool]
[signature]
i fish in the chesapeake bay in Md at solomons island , Point lookout, and at the eastern side of the bay at the Choptank
River!!!
[signature]
That is a good area. You should do well with the #4 mustad 9174 hook with a piece of squid.[cool]
[signature]
when im fishing for croakers off of the pier ill normally buy some premade sabiki rigs size 4-8.depending on the weather ill use a 4 ounce weight if the surf is ruff if not ill use an ounce cast the rigs baited with shrimp.ill cast it 10-15 yards let it sink for a couple seconds ... make sure the line is tight so i can feel every bite,in less than a min or so if thier around ill get bit most of the time.
[signature]
Thanks for the input. I like to fish them pretty much the same way at times. I am also on the west coast. I fish Long Beach and Huntington Beach area.

The other member is from the East Coast. Their Croakers are much bigger than what we have out here.

They look totally different too.[cool]
[signature]