Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not a BBQ grill
[cool][font "Times New Roman"][#005028][size 3]You are traveling into new territory looking for a decent spot along a river to do a bit of wade fishing. Finally you find an accessible spot to fish. You survey the area looking for holding pools, riffles, foam lines, hatches etc. But wait did you miss something? How about the grill of your car? Here you might find some tasty morsels of what the fish might be feeding on. I usually wipe my grill clean before heading out to fish, otherwise [/size][/#005028][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3][#005028]the road kill might have been picked up 100s of miles away. I am not the originator of this thought but thought that I would share it with some of our newbie’s.[/#005028] [/size][/font]
[signature]
I have never thought of checking the grill before but:
Back before I moved to Colorado, every few months I was traveling back and forth from North Texas. On the way back one time I saw all these fishermen fishing along the Arkansas River. Then I drove through a clowd of flying insects. Then we went by an other gaggle of fly fishermen standing next to and in the Ark. So I stopped to see what the fuss was about. Stuck to my windshield wipers were the quivering bodies of Blue Wing Olives. At the time I did not know what a blue wing olive was though.

It would have been good if the wife would not have needed to be back to the grind the next morning.
[signature]
I have looked at the grill, and that is what inspired my Mothra. One was stuck to the grill and it was HUGE, so I peeled it off very carefully and tried to duplicate it.

[inline "BigMoth 450.jpg"]

Like I said, when you start tying, you look at road kill in a whole new light.[laugh][laugh]
[signature]
Wow! That moth looks incredible and delicious. Do you have any Squirrel imitations??[laugh]
[signature]
... even though I have seen your mothra before I am still awed by your fly tying talent..

MacFly
[signature]