Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YES!!!!!!! More fall swap info
Yes, my chickabou in yellow and tan just arrived in the mail. Time to start whipping up some flies for the swap. I ran across this recipe on the internet and it is so easy to tie and so effective, I love it. I won't reveal my hand just yet, you have to wait for the swap.

I am trying to flies that do very well for me (espcially this year), one is a good old stand by, the other I picked up this year:

Prince nymph, weighted (This is my story fly)
Mystery fly (fell in love with it this year)

What is everyone else tying (buying)? Deadline is approaching quickly, I am so excited.

katghoti
[signature]
I am still thinking on this. In the mean time I will take life the hard way with a sofa pillow.

How about a different variation on a copper john? hmmm maybe.
[signature]
I am looking at an olive bh pt nymph.. in a size 12.. I will probably buy them instead of tying since I am very new to that.. but the story is good in an odd sort of way..

... when is the deadline on this so I can get them ordered in in time to get them to you in a timely manner ?

..did you get the even dozen yet?

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Macfly55,

You might as well order a couple of dozen. A dozen for you and a dozen for the swap. Then you are not waiting for anything.... except money maybe.
[signature]
Didn't get our dozen but that is okay. Deadline to sign up is September 30th, so get your friends on board. Once we get past the deadline, we'll get a date for the swap. I suspect you have at least a month.

katghoti
[signature]
...as all of you know money is always an issue with this sport.. flies, rods, reels, etc.. I know it all works out in the end but there are times it is hard to keep my finance manager happy.. [sly]

MacFly[cool]
[signature]
I am new to this so basicly I put togeather a box of a dozen flies I like and send it to you and then I get a box of someone elses fav flies right... and we right a story and take a pic and let everyone know how they worked.. Well just let me know when to send in my flies...
[signature]
Warchild, one thing I want to add because it was a little confusing on the one last year is.....12 or however many people decideto join, of the SAME fly. In return you get 11 different flies plus one of yours back, unless we do another suprise box for a contest.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Just a few hints on your fly swap. It is usually customary to post the names of the contributors, and the fly that they are going to tie.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]This will avoid every one tying the same fly.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Once you have the contributors identified, set dates on the submission of the flies, providing them with your snail mail address. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I think that you have the right idea, but need to lay the ground rules so everyone understands what's required.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
hey sis.. I am still using the flies that I got from that tie lastyear.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
...good reminders there Saberfish.. I just checked back on the list of tiers from the original post and I dont see you listed.. I thought for sure you would be in on this???

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Right you are Saber. I will tie up one of my famous [laugh] Chironomids.
[signature]
ahhhhhh the ones so tiny the fishes need a magnifying glass to see it but at the same time are deadly on those same fishes.. and it still amazes this novice how you can tie something so small [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
These aren't that small lil' bro. But in the food cycle, Chironomids make up about 3/4 of a fishes diet. Plus it is one of my favorite flies to fish (next to dries) and this is one of the most productive.
It is called "The Irish Spring".
[signature]
..are those the ones with the white bead and then green and white stripes.. if it is I think you sent me one of those.. [Smile]... I kind of like that name ya know.. specially with the Irish ancestry and all.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I have rested my head on the sofa pillow thinking of what to tie. My one remaining brain cell has come up with a splendid idea.

I am going to tie Ya'll a Sofa Pillow.

Then assuming that I have time and am not worn out from the Sofa..... pillow. (More a variant than the original.) I be thunk'n I kan do a variant of the Copper John.
[signature]
...sounds good to me.. cant wait to see the end result... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Right on Dry Rod. Love those Buggy Looking little guys. I will get mine done this week.
[signature]
...Im with you there sis.. ... I have to finish tying the pt nymphs this week.. Im a lot slower than the rest of you .. but .. since I got a one on one lesson with scruffy fly this past weekend I think I will be able to pull it off.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Very reluctantly, i must back out of the swap. I just took on a major home remodel project and i will have no time to tie. Sorry guys, maybe next year.[unimpressed]
[signature]