Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New avatar
[center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Hey there MacFly55 - noticed that you changed your avatar. Is that a wish list item? Might need to get one with a canopy.[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=31273;][/center]
[signature]
[sly]...you know me to well my friend.. [Smile]... I can see where a canopy might be nice to have.. that way I wont blind anyone when the sun reflects off the top of my head.. [Tongue]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Canopy - !!!

Another place to store used flies and protect your self from those errant cone head wooly buggers zinging low through the air.
[signature]
...with my casting abilities that would happen more often than not.. [sly]

MacFly[cool]
[signature]
...although this would keep the sun off my head wouldn't it also act like a parachute in even the mildest of breezes.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]More like a sail. But if you position it right it might act more like a racing foil. Then if you catch a big one you could change the pitch and add some extra drag to your toon or take off into the wide blue yonder. LOL Then TubeN2 would say where did he go & how fast. I could have used some brakes at Corona. Damn wind kept blowing me all around. My anchor wasn't holding one bit. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
....off to the races with a big fish on the end of my line.. kind of like that idea.. just would not want to get airborne.. [sly]

... I remember you mentioned some problems with the wind and the anchor.. these are all things I will have to learn about.. but looking forward to the learning.. [Smile]

Macfly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]When I stopped by BM to pick up my free fly line I mentioned the fact that the Outcast anchor that I purchased from them wasn't holding at all. They said that I should add a small length of chain to the anchor than tie on the rope. In this manner the chain would lay down causing the anchor in a better postion to grab the bottom. Will try that next time out.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
...my question would be if an anchor is suppose to grab the bottom why would you need to add weight to it...its almost like you have to anchor the anchor...

but .. on a lighter side... hope that works the next time you go out [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
The anchor I have for my toon is too light to sink in or hold on much of any thing. It only weighs a lb or less with three prongs It does work as a sea anchor to slow me now as I get pushed across the water.

For secure anchoring of a boat the scope (length of rope /chain) should be a mininum of 7 to 1 but 9 to 1 is generally recommended. Thus for ten feet of water depth you need 70 feet of rope.

But having that large of a cirlce that you are going to swing on seems unpractical for fishing. Of course, a two anchor system will fix that. Having more weight will reduce the amount of scope needed. I do not have any info about what works though. Big help, ugh.

I have read that many people use old lift weights for an anchor on their toons. Some use a mess bag that they fill with rocks after they drag their equipment to their launch site. That way they don't have to lug extra weight with them on ther hike around the lake and back again.
[signature]
..in reality even on big navy ships it is not the anchor(s) that holds a ship in place as much as the amount of anchor chain that is with it.. a ship will drop anchor and then do back and forth maneuvers to ensure that the anchor is in the sand etc.. if needed they will drop some extra chain to help hold the ship in place and allow for changes in tide..

.. I can see that a light anchor such as you describe would need some extra weight to help it out.. but I would also think that the manufacturer of that anchor would let you know ahead of time that is the case..

.. the only exception to this that I can think of would be a drift (sock) anchor.. that anchor is designed to let you drift slowly but not anchor you down.. these types of anchors are used in life rafts that you see on big military ships and cruise liners etc...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[size 1].. I can see that a light anchor such as you describe would need some extra weight to help it out.. but I would also think that the manufacturer of that anchor would let you know ahead of time that is the case.. [/size]
[size 1][#0000ff]As I remember it had a disclaimer that depending on the situation you might need a bigger anchor - imagine that, I figured it would not work very well but I did not want to carry more weight.[/#0000ff]

.. the only exception to this that I can think of would be a drift (sock) anchor.. that anchor is designed to let you drift slowly but not anchor you down.. these types of anchors are used in life rafts that you see on big military ships and cruise liners etc... [/size]
[size 1][#0000ff]Drift anchor = sea anchor - My memory is not that good but that is the name for them that has always stuck with me. Off shore Sailboats generally have them, also. [/#0000ff][/size]
[#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
...I stand corrected on the drift anchor.. the correct term as you say is sea anchor......

... I understand the not want to carry extra weight which is why the one you described as get it to the water and add rocks.. [Smile] I would think would work well in that situation..

... I would think on pontoons .. especially in my case where I would launch from a ramp or similar situation.. having a heavier anchor would not be as much of an inconvenience.. I am basing this on my using a tube to get to more remote areas of the lake I am using.. and therefore carrying a big anchor would prove cumbersome to say the least..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]In the past I would fill up a net bag with about 5lbs of rocks. That sure did the trick. Then prior to calling it a day I would then dump the rocks over board. I only bought that Outcast anchor because it was compact and I wouldn't have to hunt around for rocks before heading out. BTW Scruffy_Fly my anchor also weights 1lb. Do you think it might help if I tied some rocks to my anchor? Duh that was a rhetorical question guys.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
...are you trying to do your own version of the DUH commercial.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Just for general information, everyone that I have known that bought an anchor for use with a tube or toon, left it on shore or at home after the initial attempt to use it.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]When landing a fish, they act like a fish magnet, leaving you with tangled line, and[/size][size 3] an empty hook. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Maybe someone will report their experience with anchors.[/size]
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Well that is always a potential problem, be it from a tube, toon or boat that is anchored. However, if the anchor is towards your back there is a less of a tendency to snag your line with a catch. Now if the fish decides to do a 360 or even a 180 then all bets are off.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Saberfish wrote: Just for general information, everyone that I have known that bought an anchor for use with a tube or toon, left it on shore or at home after the initial attempt to use it.
-----------
[#0000ff]There you go, assuming I catch fish when I use a toon.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Hey there MacFly here is another option to float around your brain.[/size][/green][/font][/center] [center][/center]
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=31281;][/center]
[signature]
...my brain is too old for all of these options.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]