Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba adventures
I took a trip with a buddy and our two daughters to Yuba on Sat.

I was anxious to get to the painted rocks area but did not know to go the back raod out of Nephi. So I went downI-15 thinking I could cut over to the east side of the lake.

Well there was a sign that pointed to painted rocks.....

So off I went down the dirt road. It had tracks and looked fairly well traveld despite a few spots of deep snow. We made it just fine until the last 1/4 mile before the road connected to the highway on the east side of the lake. THen the snow got really deep for about 200 yards. I thought I'd be okay with some momentum and 4 low but...Yep- you guessed it- I got STUCK ...BAD!!!

I ended up digging with my snow scraper for about an hour since I didnt have the brains to throw a shovel in the truck. (that will never happen again!)

Luckily a guy that was out rabbit hunting came along on his 4 wheeler and he had a shovel in his truck that he brought to us. We ended up having to break off some fence posts and jack up the back end, put the posts under the tire and then we got enough traction to get unstuck.

Took about 2 hours to get out, I was cold, wet and tired, then we had to reverse for close to a mile to find a place to turn around and not get stuck again.
When we finally got back to pavement, we went to the dam and fished for about 2 hours- NADA, ZILCH!!! I took my new underwater camera, that was cool, I could see how barren and fishless our spot was! It was fun to see the bottom detail but there were no fish to be seen anywhere. By then we were too tired to really care about moving around.[pirate]

Only saw a few occasional catches coming up around me so overall it was slow where we were at the dam. It would have been a little better had we got there earlier. But that just means that we didnt have to clean them[Wink]

So to anyone thinking of the shortcut- DONT DO IT! Go through Nephi to get to painted rocks, the dirt road is covered in deep snow for the last 1/4 mile.

One day Ill look back and laugh..... Im going to monster jam this weekend- then strawberry in 2 weeks, hopefully we'll have better luck!
[signature]
Sorry to hear about the bad time
[signature]
You have to go through levan to get to painted rocks. Man that sucks getting stuck and then getting skunked. Well now you know for next time.
[signature]
Sorry you had a bad experience but thanks for letting us know. I have cut across there twice this year and was considering it for the Perchathon.

Utahbill
[signature]
yeah it was a bummer but it sure beat being home and doing honeydo's all morning on a beautiful saturday.

If someone had a lot of ground clearance they might make it, I was in a stock Chev Z71, but its probably better all the way around to avoid that road completely and not miss half of the perch-athon trying to dig out.

Good luck to everyone that is fishing down there this weekend.
[signature]