Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
did anyone go fishing this weekend ?
i was fortunate enough to be able to go fishing this past weekend . i left here early saturday morning and tried my best to cover as many of the fishable waters as i could . it was quite a challange dodging thunderstorms , fierce winds and holiday travelers . i swear i must have skidded off a few hundred miles of treadwear from people watching the trees and not the stopsigns . i had one near double-miss when two cars decided to cross the road directley in front of me , one from each side ! i don't think there was enough room between there rear bumpers and my front fenders for the sun to shine thru . i did have to check my shorts after that one !

well as far as fishing went , one sucker on the rifle river , thats it ! i covered the northeast section of the mit , zig zaging west to east , east to west . there were very few other anglers out there , other than the ocasional guy who got a few moments away from the campsite or cabin for a few minutes to converse with nature at the waters edge . i tried to limit my time to about an hour and a half at each location . if there was water and a spot to pull over , i was on it .

i had two pvc tubes bungied to the luggage rack of the jeep with one of every rod that i have for fishing different types of waters . from the ultra-lite to the downrigger ,( just in case ). i had my leather bag of reels with me ( a total of 25 reels ) my big tackle box , my fishing vest , the long handle landing net and a hand held net , some dilly worms , wax worms , spawn , and this winters hatch of homemade flys , a thermous of coffee and a bag of venison jerkey . i forgot my waders though . i was a bait shop on wheels !

at the rifle river i was only there a few minutes before catching the first sucker , a family spending the afternoon near by had several young kids there , grabbing my net and helping me to land the fish , they haden't cought a thing all day and were pretty excited . there dad had a few beers into him and left the kids on there own to figure fishing out . after the fish was landed , i went thru each kids rod , repairing there reels , greasing them , putting on line from my own reels and rigging them up for catching suckers . you never met a more polite bunch of youngsters , too bad ther father wasen't as nice . " you don't expect me to pay you for that do you ?" he said . " never crossed my mind i said , and then i left .

every stream , river , creek or lake i hit during the weekend from that point on was a bust , never a nibble , not one bite . drownded every bait i had and a few flies as well . nothing ! the fish just wern't having any part of what i had to offer them . and the weather wasen't trying to make me feel welcome at all . it left me with that cold damp feeling from the drissle . why couldn't it have stayed as nice as it was saturday ?

the best laid plans of mice and men , as one author once said , only this time it was ment for me .
[signature]
Didn't get a chance to chase any steel down because I screwed up my back Saturday morning. Did manage to go down to the huron and hook up on about 10 good size trout in about two hours before my pain killers wore off. By that time I thought my buddy was going to have to carry me out in a wheel chair. I hope my back will be better by the ope weekend for the opener.
[signature]
I simpithize with you there stormy, My back is on a perminate non fix. I have to time my doses to just prior to my going and pack some to take while I am there so I can get home with out having to call an ambulance.

I passed by you saturday, I was down river of you, not with in hollaring distance tho, I dont think the other guys would have much apreceated it had a gave out a big old bellow.

you got my number let me know one way or the other of what to expect for this sat.
[signature]
man that sucks , i know that when my back acts up it's either between the sholderblades or in the lower and it feels like i'll fold in half backwards . i feel for you buddy . i hope it heals up quickley .

for me a heating pad on high and sleeping on the floor works wonders ! but the kids take this as a sign for a game of " beat up daddy " ( wrestiling match ) ooouuuccchhh !!!!!
[signature]