Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle advice
About 30 years ago I was a bass fisherman, but I lost my way and have only recently come back from the dark side. I was hoping one of you would be kind enough to give an old rookie fisherman some advice.

I have been to Jordanelle a couple times this year, but have not really been able to find the bass. Most of my luck has been with grubs or tubes in greens and browns. I catch a few close to shore, and a few more deeper with a drop shot and a motor oil worm, but I can find no pattern to where the bass are. It seems like I have more luck on relatively rocky and steeper places, but truthfully I have not seen a lot of bass, or bass of any size anywhere.

Last trip I fished on the north side of the rock creek arm, but pretty near the main lake, and then around the corner across from the marina and a bit south (due to boat problems, thats a different story).

I guess I could start crowding the tubers and boats and try to figure out what they are using and where, but I hate it when people crowd me. I was hoping someone could give me some advice on habitat to look for, either general characteristics or even some actual places to try. Ditto on the baits, depths, techniques, etc. I would really like to learn to think more like a bass...

Sorry this post is so long, thanks for listening!
[signature]
I'm glad you seen the light!! It has sort of been a funky year and with the high water it makes it tough at times. Everybody and their dog beats the snot out of those bare rock points. Once the water drops another 3-4 feet it will become easier to pin point them.

I've always had better luck with shad colored worms more so than browns or greens. Smoke is a pretty good color up there as well. They seem to be moving quite a bit lately, usually they are on the offshore stuff this time of year. But some are still up in the pockets. Not sure if they are following perch fry or what. Watch the tree lines not the bank on the subtle flats then watch the depth finder and usually there is a sharp break from 12-25 feet.

They will be upon the flat side in the morning and on the break by mid-morning. Pick your favorite top water and hammer away at first light. Then it is just a matter of flipping the break line. It is to darn nasty to drag a bait through the trees. By flipping I mean anything so long as it is near a verticle presentation. Sometimes you can fish the alleys between the trees and they will eat, but other times you might have to jungle fish. Give it a couple of shakes and flip to the next bush. If your fishing in the afternoon a spinnerbait in the mudline can whack a few.

I believe there is a 4lb bass sitting on every rock in that place its just a matter of finding an efficient way of getting the bait in his wheel house. I lost an absolute horse last Friday morning, but I fish bigger than average baits. It was the only bite I had in 6 hours, but the kids pounded the little ones all morning. Hope this helps....
[signature]
Look back at some of my posts on Jordanelle they should help...
[signature]
RE: "I guess I could start crowding the tubers and boats and try to figure out what they are using"

No,no,no don't do that. Us float tubers are too small and vulnerable to be crowded by big boats.[Wink] I guess I will also give you my 2 cents then. I have hit Jordanelle about 1-2 times per week since early June, and have had a great year. Right now, the fish are moving a lot, but are feeding on perch fry. If you find the baitfish, you will find some bass. Everyone and their dog will pound the points and stick-ups, but if you see weed beds reaching the surface and aquatic grasses, these should be worked. Use your fish finder to tell you if a given area is thick with fish or not. Also, this morning, one of my hottest areas was a drop-off adjacent to a stick-up. Not much in the stick-up itself, but just away from it was packed with fish. Don't be afraid to move around some too. This time of year, where I fish up there, the fish tend to congregate quite a bit into relatively small areas and if you find the area, then it is game on. Again, a basic fish finder will be invaluable. As for colors, I had always done well over the years with various green shades, but the last two seasons, I have been having very good luck with chartreuse and white colors mixed with darker ones for a two toned plastic bait. (laminates)

Good luck
[signature]
Thanks bassrods, I have been avidly reading your posts on Jordanelle all year. Guys like you and TubeDude make it look awfully easy!
[signature]
Thanks for the advice!

Last trip we (my wife is good enough to come along most times) got tired of the trees cause we got so many snags. Probably need to stay more vertical when I work those areas.

By the way, do you usually rig weedless for the sticks?
[signature]
Always...
[signature]
Go try the longest major points on the lake, work the 3' to 15' of water on both sides and on top with the Mojo pineapple down shot weight and gulp minnow in smelt 3"...

Over 30+++ bass today by 9:30, bass from 10" to 19 1/2" and two browns one 27" other 24" off the water by 1:30.....
[signature]
Well, now I can't complain that I don't know what to try! thanks for the great advice. Can't get there til next week, but I will give it a shot ASAP.
[signature]
[cool]Hey Cliff, Beggin4bass and I will be there tomorrow in his new Smokercraft (white and blue in color). Maybe we'll see ya out there (or other BFT'rs). Good luck to all BFT'rs tomorrow, and stop by and say hi if you see us. Hope to get into the smallies. I'm going to get some Gulp minnows in a few to do some drop shotting. Hope we find some willing smallies and not just the slimers...
[signature]
Not on saturdays...To many nuts are out....And the squirrels are trying to catch them...
[signature]