Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WILLOW POND
WENT TO WILLOW POND LAST NIGHT FOR ABOUT AN HOUR,COUGHT 6 CHANNEL CATS,AND 1 GOLDFISH I DON'T KNOW WHY THERE IS GOLDFISH IN THERE. THE CAT'S WERE ALL GOOD SIZE 15'' . AND I SAW BIGGER ONES' BEING PULLED OUT. MISSED ABOUT 6 OR 7 OR MAYBE IT WAS THOSE GOLDY'S PLAYING WITH MY WORM. IT WAS ALSO VERY CROWDED.

BRANDO
[signature]
once people find out the cats are in there.......it will ALWAYS BE BUSY. and the Sad thing is how many dont make it back in the pond.

I was there once last year fishing right by the little walk out and I was catching a ton of cats...big ones to. I threw everyone back cept one for a friend for his weekend bbq. Between me and my friend we caught and released 30 + cats. and people around us was getting mad telling us to give them to them. NOPE catch your own fish. Danzilla had a problem like that at midas one time last year to.

The whole reason I broght this up is cause in the 2 or 3 hours I was there I started counting the cats that was leaving (just the stringers that was carried out by peolpe walking by me) and there was over 200 cats taken out of there pond in the time I was there. Not including the people on the other side and that did not walk by me. Pretty Sad. I have no problem with people keeping some fish but this is after all a PARK and the big thing with urban fishing is to take the kids and get them started.

as pred says.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE practice Selactive harvest. Thanks.

Hope no offence was taken by anyoneby this.....or my bad spelling [Tongue]
[signature]
I AGREE WITH YOUR COMMENTS FFM, I SAW ALOT OF PEOPLE LEAVING WITH A STRINGER FULL OF FISH, THE LIMIT IS 4 AND I KNOW THEY HAD ALOT MORE, WE RELEASED ALL ARE FISH, HOPFULLY FOR SOME KID TO CATCH. THE SAD THING IS I ONLY SAW FEW KIDS THERE LAST NIGHT.

BRANDO
[signature]
yup not many kids at all when I went last year. The other Sad thing is depending on the time of day. There is usely a cop or 2 there and some of the cops witll write tickets for not obaying the law. Others just sit in there car and nap.
[signature]
Until recently I thought that willow pond and these urban fisheries were only for the kids. By the sounds of fishing these areas, its like going for fish in a bucket. I am frequent visitor of Silver lake in Brighton Ut. I get enjoyment helping kids catch fish and expecially the kid who catches his first fish, there is no better feeling. But I always put across the message of catch and release fish beyond what would be consumed in a short amount of time after the catch. It is Sad to hear that so many fish are taken at one time at these locations. I hope to fish Willow this summer, hopefully there are some fish in there!!! BTW, FFM do you have any idea the limits on gold fish???? j/k I hear they make great frozen fish bait!!!! Great posts and tight lines!!![Wink]
[signature]
Hey polo the limit on gold fish is 6 but but only 2 can be over the 3 " slot limit and anything in bwteen 1" and 3" much be immediatly released.[Tongue]

We should go hit it after work one day polo. I was getting 78 ponders with the not so often 10 pounder on my little ultra light. that is fun
[signature]
oops, I guess I should sign in when I post, that was just me!!!
[signature]
I had the same problem at bountiful pond on cats as well. Almost got into a fist fight with a guy cuz i wouldnt give him my fish I was catching. I released hundreds of cats in a week span. I quit going after that week though. I have come to realize that the urban fisheries will always be a put and take fishery. As much as all of us would love to see selective harvest in them. I dont believe the purpose of their creation was from that mindset. It is marketed and created for kids and people to catch fish, usually big fish and buy more licenses etc for later years to come. Most people will keep the fish within regulations. Sadly it is a day after day after day thing which it cannot possibly handle. So the cycle begins over stock it catch alot take alot out nothing left. I think its inevitable though i agree with you fish fear me.
[signature]