Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northerns @ Yuba
I was wondering if someone could tell me if the Northerns are biting at Yuba. And if so where would be a good spot I do not have a boat any info would help.
Thanks
[signature]
If it were me with no boat, I would fish right off the dock at Oasis. Dead minnow on one rod fished parrallel to the shore line. Cast lures with the other trod.

Yuba's pike are unpredictable. One day they'll bite the next they won't. Take a lawn chair and a 6 pack. You've got as good as chance as the boat fishermen. If you just want to catch a northern and not necessarily a trophy, go to Redmond and fish the same way. Best of luck to you. Go catch a 40'.
[signature]
Thanks for the info I am not sure where I will end up but I will post when I get back. I do know one thing though it will be a 12 pack not a 6.
[signature]
I agree with Pezvela about those Esox being very unpredictable. Some people say they get those fish figured out, but most of us just do what we can to lessen the risk of failure and hope for the best.

The weeks after ice off are generally good for shore fishermen for all kinds of fish, and pike are no exception. The shallower water warms first, and attracts the smaller fish, and in turn the hungry predators. The spring run-off also raises the water and floods any brush or structure (if you can find it at Yuba). That's bad for snags but good for the fish. Again this is generally speaking. My best tiger musky (42") came from fishing shortly after ice out in some shallow flooded brush at Pineview at high noon. You could see little fishies using it as cover too. In summer they are the most active, and can be caught in shallow areas adjacent to deep water. In the fall and winter they can be just about anywhere, but most fish will move deep with the perch and such.

Now, from what I've heard on various sites and on the fishing channels, and from my limited experience, the spring is a good time to use a variety of smaller pike lures. The summer is when you use the fastest, most aggressive approach. And the fall is when you use the largest lures fished deep and slow.

That's not to say that other approaches and mixing it up won't work either, but everything I've mentioned is the general pattern I follow.
[signature]
Yuba yuba yuba that is one f the most difficult places to fish. One day you can catch 100 fish the next day nada! [pirate] There is no structure what so ever for fish to school so the perch are scattered al over. you find schools of perch there is pike around . Last year when i found the perch i anchored and we caught pike consistently all day long. Perch disappeared pike were gone to. With high water look for brushy areas and if the perch are there pike will be in the vicinity.
[signature]
Allright already I am going to Redmond Res. on Sunday if anybody can tell me what part of the lake 2 fish I would appreciate very greatly. I am not to sure where it is. I know where Redmond is but what part of the lake do I fish and if you could tell me how deep it is.

THANKS
[signature]
let me know how you do.
[signature]
I will post a thread to all the bft ppl. I would like some info on what part of the lake I should fish for these toothy sobs
[signature]
The whole south end is easily accessible. Try going to the third pull out near the trees. Cast a minnow out under a bobber. I bet its about 5 feet deep at the end of your cast. If that pull out is too crowded go the the middle one. If you find 5 feet of water you are lucky. The deeper sections are only accessible by boat. Good luck.
[signature]
I always fish the north end just off the road at any one of the pull offs. Dead minnow on the bottom works for me, but a spoon works to. If you fish a dead minnow, leave your bail open or set very light and let the pike pick it up and swim off with it. When it stops, set the hook. Good luck
[signature]
I would use a floaty rig to keep the minnow of the bottom. I have caught pike of from the shore that way. Pike have eyes on top of their heads so you will have a better chance of catching one with a suspended bait. I have yet to catch one on the bottom but it doesnt mean that they wont eat of the bottom floor. Good luck at yuba if you go there.
[signature]
oops I got all turned around. I meant the north end.
[signature]