Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah lake cats
Went out to this spot on the east side of the lake near saratoga springs. Tried for bass for a while with a 3" power tube casting along the shoreline with no luck.

At about 8:00 pm I cast my tube to a rock near the shoreline, turned the real and wham, A nice 7 pnd chanel cat. The only fish I caght on my tube besides 3 or 4 mud cats.

I saw someone pull one up about 4 or 5 pounds on a shrimp under a bobber. Stayed till about 1:00 am using shrimp and chicken liver. No luck besides a horde of mud cats.

Al
[signature]
Well I don't know about big cats but I sure know about "fun cats"!

Sunday morning arrived at Lincon Beach, headed further along the shoreline until we came to a entry point where I could drive to the waters edge. About 1 mile past the Lincon beach boat ramp. Headed out onto the water in a 12 ft inflatable boat. For the past week we've been lookin gup recipies for making our own catfish bait. Between the two of us we had about 4-5 different things we going to try to throw out. Garlic hot dogs, dough balls, garlic shrimp, anchovies, blood bait, and some other rally stink blood bait. We got a couple bites, but no fish. After 3 hours of frustration I put a worm on my daughters hook, and wham! First fish, ended up as the biggest. In the next hour and a half 6 more fish all on worms. 1 channel, 1 mud, 5 blues.

The strangest event of the day, I hooked a blue in the mouth, the fish apparently wasn't happy with just one worm it also picked up my buddies worm! Both hooked in the lip! I thought it was just lines tangled until we haad it in the net. Went home with 7 fish, about 10-11 pounds in all. Once all cleaned up netted about 2-3 lbs for a nice dinner. Now I just need to post some pictures....another learning experience.
[signature]
[Wink]Hey Hustler 898, this year i've been visiting a place on utah lake that has been very productive for some nice cats. I haven't shared it at all yet and i'm sure some of you know where it is at! It's a brand new boat launch on the west side of the lake, in a neighborhood called Pelican Point. It is about 1 mile before the actual Pelican Point. I've tried both on the inside and outside but have had more success on the inside. Most success was with worms 3 feet under a bobber and never more than 10 feet from shore. Have landed a few over 8 lbs. Some on really stinky shrimp i've had for 3 weeks now. It used to be raw but when i went to lincoln beach 2 weeks ago it got cooked, but i keep bringing it home and freezing it till next time.

I used it at A.F. on friday and worked my way all around that rocky point from west to the east side and had most success with those stinky shrimp and the worms that i put in there w/ the shrimp. Cought a few white bass and bluegill too. mostly mudcats but a few channels, 4 pounds being the best. GOOD FISHIN TO YA'ALL
[signature]
That's where I was last night. what time of day or night were the chanels biting the best?
[signature]
Pelican point is nothing new to some of us. I've been therre many times over the years. One trip everyone in the boat limitecout oin BIG UTAH CATS, small one in the boat was +2lbs and all of it in under six feet of water and about 100 feet away from shore. Good spot for a load of fun.
[signature]
We got out to A.F. at about 6:00 pm. Generally I do real well catching cats till 7:30 or 8 after that I usually just get muds. But the best time I think is in the mornings from 8 till 1. All in all though you can pretty much catch them all day, it's all luck out there being there at the right time when that monster cat swim's by and decides that that tasty little morsel dangling in front of his face ought to be eaten right now. Hope that helps!!!

GOOD FISHIN TO YA'ALL[sly]
[signature]
FFM,

Are you sure those are blues you caught? I don't think we have blue catfish here in Utah, only channels and bullheads.
Nice report on Lincoln Beach.

Kastmaster
[signature]
You're right, there are no blues in Utah. However, a lot of people mistake the male channels for blues when they are in their spawning mode.
[signature]
how do you get to that boat harbor on the west side i've been over that way and all i'v ever seen was a private boat club thanx for any info

chris
[signature]
If you've been by the private club your close to it probably less than 2 miles past that there's a sign for the boat ramp. That's the Sarasota springs boat ramp if that's the one your looking for.
[signature]
Hey Aquaman, to get to that boat harbor you need to completely pass saratoga springs subdivision. On the way you'll see some sort of army thing just off the side of the road, you'll also pass Nautica Marina,which may have been the private boat dock you were at. keep heading west till you can see another subdivision just up ahead, keep your eyes peeled for a sign that says Pelican Point development. That sign is on your left hand side, turn down that road. You'll pass by a little unmanned guardshack, then your there. PM me if that still doesnt make any sense. Hope this helps.
GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!
[signature]
thanks guys pretty much got it figured out now you guys see any bass being caught LM or white

chris
[signature]
You and shrimpboy are probably right we only called them blues becuse of their color. Still fun to catch, and just as good to eat!
[signature]
Hey Loanfish,

How much do they charge to launch a boat at Pelican Point? I used that ramp shortly after the developer of that sub division built it and did $500 damage to my boat trailer. He agreed to pay half, which helped out some. At that time it was privately owned and the fee was $10 to launch there. I believe Saratoga Springs now owns the marina.
[signature]
Hello kentofnsl,

I know there are 3 private launch ramps on the west side of the lake. Saratoga Springs, Nautica, and the actual Pelican Point. The marina i'm talking about is on a road that goes into a subdivision and i've never been asked to pay a thing, nor have any of the boaters i have talked to. I did also speak to the Saratoga Springs Police a couple of weeks ago when they cleared us all out of there for a fireworks show they were doing(thats the day i got that nice 8 1/2 lb cat). It's free there until the entire area has been fully developed. I'm not sure though if it will remain public or become private for that community, but that area is non-stop action for cats. Hope that helps.

GOOD FISHIN TO YA
[signature]
Hey rich I'd never take em' all out. As a matter of fact ive only kept about 6 muds and 2 channels from there. Most of the fish i catch i let go so that you can catch em' later.Where out there was it that you cought that nice 13 pounder?and what where you using?

GOOD FISHIN TO YA'ALL
[signature]