Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uintahs
Fished the Upper Prove yesterday, First time I had ever caught a fish on my fly rod! I was using a woolly worm my daughter tied (Black & white). I pulled in about 15 fish total only 3 over 12" the rest ranged from 2" and up. My daughter caught the smallest and the first on a #10 bait hook that sucker must have been really hungry because the hook was almost as long as the fish! 2" fish 1" hook. Water level is lower than this time last year, but there are still some good holes to fish in. I was really pleased with the action of the fly rod and how I was ablt the put the fly right where I wanted it. When I switch back the the spinning rod I had a hard time getting my brain to recognize the difference in the poles.

Still want to find the utah grayling...where to go?
[signature]
Never been to Moon lake, but I've heard some positve reports about it. Think I'm gonmna have to make a run up there one of these weekends. Thanks

You should join BFT.. its an incredible forum.
[signature]
Grayling:

Do you have any pictures of the grayling you were catching at Moon Lake?. The reason I was wondering is that I spend a lot of time fishing Moon Lake and have only ever seen one grayling. There are however tons of mountain whitefish in Moon. I'm not implying you're mistaken on the identity, and would love to know if there were a bunch of overlooked grayling there. I've had several people tell me of the great grayling fishing at Moon Lake, only to find out later they were mountain whitefish. See pics. The top fish is the grayling. Just curious.

Good Grayling Fishing, Kayote

[Image: l44014.jpg]
[signature]
FFM, there are a lot of streams and ponds in the Uintas that hold grayling. I don't know how many places there are on the West slope, but on the South slope and the North slope, there are numerous places to catch one.

Looks like Emery/Carbon counties have some too. This information is from utahfishfinder.com

Manti-LaSal Mountains[/url](in Carbon and Emery counties)
Albino Trout, Bluegill, [#ff0080]Grayling[/#ff0080], Largemouth Bass, Rainbow Trout, Splake (hybrid)
(Jul 2)[Image: dot_clear.gif] All lakes are now accessible and have been stocked. Fishing at Blue Lake has been excellent. Brook and rainbow trout up to 13 inches have been taking flies and lures. Recommended flies include ants, beetles and wooly worms. Dark Canyon was stocked with 2,400 nine- to ten-inch rainbow trout in June. Medicine Lake was stocked with 800 rainbow trout. Warner received 2,000 rainbow trout. Oowah was planted with 4,800 catchable-size rainbow trout. Fishing has been good at Oowah for rainbow and brook trout with spinners or salmon eggs. Fishing at Hidden Lake has been good for hold-over and stocked rainbow trout. Salmon eggs, worms and spinners have worked best. Hidden received its summer allotment of 3,200 nine- to ten-inch rainbow trout last month. Fishing at Dons Lake has been fair for splake and tiger trout with spinners and flies.

I'll get some of the names and areas of some of the streams and ponds out here that have numbers and get back to you.
[signature]
A couple of years ago I was fishing at Washington Lake, off of the Mirror Lake highway, and about 1 out of every 3 fish was a small 6" grayling. We were using a fly and bubble set-up with a mosquito looking fly. I used to catch a few here and there at Trial Lake before the dam broke. I've never caught one since at Trial.

I bet if you worked it a little bit, you could get some out of Washington even though I haven't heard any reports from there lately. Otherwise you'll have to hike into the few lakes that hold a lot of them. When you get to those lakes it is constant action, but usually they are small.

m
[signature]
Hey guys,
I'm planning a hike in trip Fish Reservoir in about 2 weeks to fish for grayling. Check out the post "The fellow of the Greyling". Interested drop me a PM.
[Wink]Tincanfsh

Make it 5 in a row, Lance!
[signature]
I have fished Moon Lake on many occasions and caught both mountain white fish and grayling in the same day. I watch a guy one day catch the state record greyling( a whole whoppping 17 inches and put him back) at moon lake. My father in the late 1940's and early 50's worked for the forest service and did alot of pack trips from moon lake up into brown duck basin and he said they were always packing greyling to stock!!!
[signature]
Thgats a grayling ok sure look nice! I have friends that fish Great Slave every other year and they say the grayling are the most fun to catch because they fight so much. Thanks for the Info
[signature]