Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Stripping Basket in a Pontoon?
Going Striper fishin. I had a net / screen laying accross the legs in the Pontoon. But that doesn't work. Was thinking making something like a small basket sitting between the legs to put the line into while stripping the line in very quickly with a whistler. Any Ideas? Anyone elso striper fish from their pontoon and what do you put your line into while stripping it in?

Slim
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Some guys put the line catcher beside them, on their stripping side. A good improvise is a plastic storage container with some holes drilled in the bottom for drainage.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Absolutely, if you have the room on the side, you can pick up plastic "BASKETS" anywhere, even "ALL A DOLLAR" then like TD said, drill a few holes for draining.
You also might want to glue or screw a few wire nuts to the bottom to help keep the line from tangling.
If you don't feel comfortable stripping to the side, William Joseph (Off 3rd W. and 17th S) Have a great retractable stripping basket.

[Image: WJstripClosedBig.jpg]

Just grab the front of the belt and pull, there is the basket. Then push on the front and it slides back in.

Great on rivers too.
[signature]
Going out tomorrow so one of 2 things I'll try: #1. I'll take a small garbage can from the bedroom and make that work
or
#2. grab the stripping basket I made for surf fishing which sounds like your sugestion: "[#0000ff]a plastic storage container with some holes drilled in the bottom for drainage".[/#0000ff]

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks !!

Slim
[signature]
Take a picture of what you got and post it here. That
would help us to help you.[Smile]
There is many good ways of doing this and some of
the people here done it for sure.

Peter
[signature]
I like the basket. But wished it was lower . I have a wading belt around the waist to hold the basket and liked being able to slide it to the side , out of the way and back to the front to strip into.
Very slow day for everyone so I'm glad to at lease catch one. Not big but fun and it beats a skunk.

Picture of the striper and the basket I used..[inline "My Striper 2.jpg"]
[signature]
Nice Striper !
I see the basket you got going on. Did you see the
one that Orvis makes (gray in color) ? Its a little bigger
then yours and has spikes inside to help stop
line tangling.
I really like the one in my Super Fat Cat. After few
modifications it works super well. I made it rigid up front
so it keeps its shape.

Peter
[signature]
I put / glued weed wacker lines in that basket to keep things from tangling.

In my stripping net that lays accross the legs, I put stiffeners in the edges so it's like a shallow basket but #1. the attachments on this toon for the net makes it in the way to get into the pockets. #2. Too shallow to hold the line in, wind blows the line out into the water, #3. It's a pain getting into and out of the toon with that net. So that's why I'm looking for another way to hold the line. Trout fishing isn't an issue, but striper fishing it is. Being one needs to strip the line with long and fast strips.

Thankls for the suggestions, I'll look into some of those for the next time I'll go !

Slim
[signature]
Sounds good. If you come up something cool then
please post it here.
Toon is may next boat Im getting so Im very sure
that I will be dealing with the same challenges.[Smile]

Peter
[signature]
In my pram, the whole inside of the boat is a stripping basket. ;-)
[signature]
michaelnel wrote:[/quote]
In my pram, the whole inside of the boat is a stripping basket. ;-)[/quote]

Yeah, I tried that. Not the best. Kept stepping on the line
as I was shooting it out. Had to build special line keeping
oversized basket . After that it was great[Wink].

Peter
[signature]