Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba at 19%
Yuba's down to 19% level. Piute is 13%.
Yuba has a new general store. Does anybody know the hours? Anyone fish Yuba in the last month or so?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have not heard ANYTHING for a couple of months. At that time there were a couple of guys getting a few walleye in the narrows and a few perch at a couple of locations. But, nothing memorable.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I looked in on the Yuba State Park website and they did not give hours but here is what they said about the new facilities:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
ConcessionsSequoia Motorsports now offers boat, personal watercraft and off-highway vehicle rentals at Yuba State Park. In addition, they have opened a store that offers basic camping and boating supplies. While you are there, enjoy one of their juicy hamburgers and homemade fries!
Sequoia Motorsports - store and rental shop
Located at the main boat ramp at Yuba State Park; off Interstate 15 Exit 202.
Phone: 801-423-9118
Email: [url "mailtoConfusedequoiamotorsports@gmail.com"]sequoiamotorsports@gmail.com
[/url] Web: [url "http://sequoiamotorsports.com/"]sequoiamotorsports.com[/url]
[signature]
Dang it Sad to see water that low[frown]
[signature]
I haven't fished it since ice off. I'll give it a couple of weeks for the water to cool off a little and give it a try. DMAD is about the same distance for me. I had no idea there were crappie in it. I've not been tempted to try it until Drew posted that report about it.
[signature]
Ya, I drove by it Friday on the way to the Boulders and it looked like it was completely drained until I went way south. Then I could see a little water up there. I wonder what they're doing to that place?
[signature]
Hopefully they drain it, net all the carp they can for miles, throw all the perch, walleye and pick back in, add some structure and then fill it back up with water and throw in tons of bait fish, a bunch of bows, browns and tiger trout, and thousands of tiger musky.

I would even volunteer to help net the river for carp and to add structure. That lake is only one hour from Provo and could provide such an awesome fishery if we could get control of those carp (and I know water level is even more important but nothing we can do about that). I just can't get over how quickly the bows got huge in Yuba 5 years ago and wish we could have some of that again.
[signature]
Word. Well put. I'd help too! That place has tons of potential.
[signature]
Back when we were having the drought 6 or 8 years ago I remember a segment on Outdoors with Doug Miller where they were taking advantage of the low water and adding structure. If my memory serves me correct they were taking old Christmas trees and bunching them up. I've always been curious where exactly that was in the lake and if it helped out any.
[signature]
Did you say tiger trout? OH YEA (in my best cool aide man voice) I would be down to help out on that project. Yuba has always been for me that lake I pass on the way to other good fishing waters,,,,
[signature]
It seems like a relatively simple idea and I would love to organize it. Can you imagaine a lake with large pike, musky, perch, crappie, walleye bows, browns and tiger trout? Talk about a money producer!

The key seems to get the carp numbers as low as possible, and keep the carp eaters as high as possible. Throw in those round head minnows and gizzard shade for bait fish, plant lots of perch, crappie, musky and walleye for the first several years, plant tiger trout and musky consistently to keep the carp numbers low and some structure while water is low and maybe Yuba turns into an awesome fishery. One can dream.
[signature]
[quote Jacksonman]It seems like a relatively simple idea and I would love to organize it. Can you imagaine a lake with large pike, musky, perch, crappie, walleye bows, browns and tiger trout? Talk about a money producer!

The key seems to get the carp numbers as low as possible, and keep the carp eaters as high as possible. Throw in those round head minnows and gizzard shade for bait fish, plant lots of perch, crappie, musky and walleye for the first several years, plant tiger trout and musky consistently to keep the carp numbers low and some structure while water is low and maybe Yuba turns into an awesome fishery. One can dream.[/quote]
That sounds like a pro active idea! The DWR will never go for it. Tis a shame that they cant experiment with ONE body of water like that in the whole state.
[signature]
How about a few of us make millions, retire and become biologists and then work for DWR. Not bashing on Yuba's current biologist because I know their hands are tied for the most part. But I can't imagine the fishing pressure, and thus fishing dollar, is very high at Yuba these days.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]DWR did not drain the lake...nor do they have any say in it. The best they can do is try to maintain a fishery in a lake that is subject to massive drawdowns at the whim of the water users. There is no minimum pool so it does no good for DWR to even try to establish or maintain a fishery for any species. Here today, gone tomorrow. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote Weekend_Warrior] The DWR will never go for it. Tis a shame that they cant experiment with ONE body of water like that in the whole state.[/quote]

It's not up to the DWR. They do not own the lake. They don't control the water (as mentioned by the Tuberduder). They don't have any say in whether or not "structure" is put in the lake bed -- remember, structure would be something that would impede the flow of water out of the reservoir!

Yuba is an irrigation impoundment. The owners of that impoundment are the people that you would have to get with in order to improve the lake bed habitate (structure).

complain about the DWR all you want -- it won't do any good because they are the wrong people to complain to.
[signature]
We have been through all of this already. Structure has been placed in the past, I have seen it with my own eyes. I was referring to them proactivly planting it with predators and forage fish. The powerplant doesnt care about fish stocking.
[signature]
Structure in Yuba is an ongoing project. The Utah Bass Federation and Rocky Mt. Anglers spent one winter putting huge rows of christmas trees from high water down 50-60 ft. Unfortunately, some of our more "conservation minded sportsman" burned most of the trees before the ice melted and they became structure.

Charlie Thompson, the former Central Region Biologist also did several structure projects on Yuba. He was able to purchase several different types of artificial structure and placed them in the lake with the help of the Dedicated Hunters. The idea was to see which type attracted the most fish. Again, some of our "conservation minded sportsman" trashed them when the water went down and uncovered them.

Until DWR can purchase a conservation pool on Yuba, I doubt that you will see any type of stable fishery there. I am not sure, but I believe that IPP in Delta is the primary owner of the water in Yuba. They purchased most of the water when the station was built. The farmers then took the money that they got from IPP and purchased more water from the CUP, far below what they sold their water to IPP for. The good old boys made out like bandits on that one. So farmers are not the bad guys. IPP uses the water.
Yes, IPP is the main owner of the water. With a new unit coming on line shortly, the water problems will not likely improve anytime soon.

As Nortah/WeekendWarrior said, we have talked about this a hundred times. However, after seeing how it all went down after Yuba was drained, it seems to me that the most effective way to keep Yuba consistently productive would be to have IPP drain the lake dry every 6-7 years, and then replant with bows, perch and pike. Think about what you'd get;

1. You'd have 2-3 years of incredible trout action until the rough fish start taking over.

2. As the trout start to decline, you'd then have 4-5 years of good perch jerking along with the good pike action we had this last time. Maybe even a walleye or two.

3. When the carp take over and all the other fish are struggling like they are now, flush the whole thing and start over.

I know, I know, impractical perhaps and this was written a bit Tongue in cheek, but logically, that plan would keep both warm and coldwater anglers happy during their "season" and would deal with the biological realities of the lake and drainage.
[signature]
Good time to learn the structure of the lake.
[signature]
I like that plan actually. I dont think the DWR would stock pike but some would make it I think.

Does anyone know how much a conservation pool costs??
[signature]
I like that idea also. There were a couple of fantastic years of fishing. The bows and perch got big fast.
[signature]