Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach Interlude 3-5-12
[cool][#0000ff]Made my first tubing exploratory trip to Lincoln Beach today. Air temp 28 and water temp 38. Not quite spring yet.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Didn't figure the walleyes would be rolling on the rocks in front of the springs yet so I opted for playing with whities and kitties. Found a few whities in the little pump house bay to the south of the boat channel. Also found bazillions of carp. Couldn't get past the carp to catch whities. If they didn't slurp in the jig they would get snagged in the tail, dorsal or pectoral fins. Did my part to help the junies. Several fancy gillectomies were performed on those silly carp that crawled into my net. Others arranged their own early release...not for good behavior.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]White bass were not schooled. One here and one there. Mostly right up against the reeds in only 3 to 4 feet of water...and shallower. And almost all were underfooters. I did keep a half dozen for some scampi and noodles.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Got tired of bending my stick and stretching my string on golden bonefish and kicked out into the open lake to drag a minnow. Kept pitching plastics with one rod while "minnerin'" with the bait rod. Got three pickups on meat. Hooked all three. Very slow takes and had to finesse them. Two were cookie cutter kitties and one was a small bullhead (mudder).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bite seemed to shut off on everything about 10:30 so I moved back over to the south dike and pitched plastic off the end. Got a few more small white bass and then nothing more. Headed for the ramp and dragged plastic and watched sonar all the way down the channel. No fish to be seed and none to be catched neither. Couldn't buy a hit inside.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So, I went home.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I officially have the spring itch. I am headed to UL on Sunday AM to try and catch a few whities. I haven't had a lot of luck from the shore, but I dont own a tube or a boat. But I will try anyway.

Looks like you had a great day TD!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I really did have an enjoyable day. Better than sitting at home. Almost bagged the trip because the updated weather forecast this morning called for 10-11 mph winds from the south. But I have endured enough erroneous weather forecasts that I decided to go anyway. And, true to form, the winds were EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of the forecast. Instead of strong south winds there were light northerly breezes. Never did get strong enough to do more than chill the back of my neck.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It will only get better from here. If you fish the Lincoln Beach area from shore you will have to walk most of the way out onto the south dike. They put up a barrier to vehicles a short ways from the ramp last year when high water washed out the end. But if you make the trek there should be some good fishing for both cats and whities soon. I caught several white bass only a few feet from shore today. And the cats I caught were in only 4 to 5 feet of water...exactly the depth close to shore off the end of that south dike.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As soon as the water temps crawl permenantly over the 45 degree mark we will see much better fishing all over the lake.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice job TD and you are a great story teller thanks for another great tale. J
[signature]
The kitty whisper-er is back! No bubble up eh? I was hoping to see you school the schools out at the bubble up. I think I am gonna give Utah Lake a break for a bit.
[signature]
I don't post very often but I always read your repots
Your the master. I fish Utah lake a ton and do it all from a tube. Maybe I will seen you out there one day.
[signature]
It's not the seeing part with tube dude. It's the not seeing him all the time. I for all the times seeing him have never taken the opportunity to introduce myself. As a matter of fact he has usually just been arriving as I have been leaving.
[signature]
I am really getting pissed about this weather. It is warm, sunny, and comfortable Sunday through Thursday, then on Friday and Saturday, it blows, rains, snows,and is the pits. The worst part is reading your posts where you are out in the middle of the week, while some of us slave at work. TWO more years, then I can work you over during the week !!! Glad someone gets out !! I almost dumped work today to get on the lake, but what the heck !!!
[cool][#0000ff]There is a saying in the real estate business: LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In fishing that is also applicable, but it is subject to:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TIMING, TIMING, TIMING.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I won't apologize to anybody for being able to hit the water during the week. My first trip in over two weeks because I have been working on projects for other people. Even though I am retired I somehow get myself into commitments that are almost as demanding as a work schedule.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am sympathetic to the plight of the folks who are still obligated to show up for work and do a good enough job to keep their jobs. Been there, done that for a whole lotta years my own self. And like everybody who is envious of my midweek fishing excursions I also agonized over the unfairness of having to work when the weather was nice and then fish during the inevitable lousy weather on the weekends...along with all of the other weekend tanglers in similar situations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yesterday was the first decent weather day that I could go fishing for a while. It was a "window" and I crawled through it. Glad I did.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Neener, neener, neener.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well they just put me on three/four twelves so I have every friday off and every other thursday off. Now I am going to get a little taste of what tubedude has been enjoying.
[signature]
But, how did you do??? Any 'eyes?
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]There is a saying in the real estate business: LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In fishing that is also applicable, but it is subject to:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TIMING, TIMING, TIMING.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I won't apologize to anybody for being able to hit the water during the week. My first trip in over two weeks because I have been working on projects for other people. Even though I am retired I somehow get myself into commitments that are almost as demanding as a work schedule.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am sympathetic to the plight of the folks who are still obligated to show up for work and do a good enough job to keep their jobs . . . . [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Neener, neener, neener.[/#0000ff][/quote]

as often - ya done hammered it. These days it's about to the point of - thank you for granting me a position. Long gone are the 'atta boys' for a hard days work. Today it's just be glad you get to come back at it again tomorrow! I'd love to dig into one of those 4x10 arrangements, my folks figure - why give 4x10 if we can get 5x10 for the same price!

At least we can all rest assured - raises may not go up, but gas prices will. As a colleague often said "and the floggings will continue until morale improves"

Despite the fact that we've got cold-blowing winds, and driving snow right now - I cleared snow off the boats yesterday, and unpacked the ice-sled from the car. Resorting gear-buckets - it's the changing of the tides! I'm ready-a-floatin! Catfish are jumping - they're calling my name . . . old brown muddy-carp-filled-water just can't wait . . . . old brown water - keep on rolling . . .
[quote TroutBumDave]But, how did you do??? Any 'eyes?[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Nope. But then I never fish for walleyes. I just fish for the other species and let the silly toothy guys come to me. Much less aggravating than working yourself up for a walleye and then catching nothing but "the other guys".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In truth, I DO pursue them. But only when expectations are a bit better. Gotta see a few more degrees warmth in the water so that those horny males get jiggy around the shorelines. But the real serious walleye fishing begins after the spawn, when the fish are more active in the warmer water and they are putting on the feed bag to replace weight loss over the winter and during the spawn. Anybody who can't score a few walleyes in May and/or June should just quit ice fishing (joke).[/#0000ff]
[signature]