Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cookies at Da Knolls 5-14-12
[cool][#0000ff]TubeBabe's first tubin' trip of the year. She has been busy discharging her self-assigned duties to family and friends. She is the traveler in the fambly. I call her the "Galloping Grammy".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Da Babe likes the Knolls (at Utah Lake). She enjoys dragging minnows for kitties...or whatever else wants to bend her stick and stretch her string. She is an equal opportunity anglerette.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had made some upgrades on her tube since her last trip and had to get her set up and checked out on that stuff. So it took a few minutes to get us both prepped and launched. We were on the water by about 7 am. Air temp was 47 and the lake was very calm...after a blow last night that left it a bit murky. Water temp at launch was 62. Lookin' good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We both started out by dragging a minnow on one rod and pitching plastics on the second. Prospecting for walleyes or whities in shallower water along the shoreline[/#0000ff][#0000ff], with tubes or grubs, while hoping for a walleye or kitty on the bait.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No love for either of us for the first half hour. Water levels were down about 3' from the "bathtub ring" of last year. That can really influence where the fish will be holding. So, we kicked out into deeper water and began seeing isolated fish marks on sonar. No schools...except for carpkind. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There were large brown clumps of carp "sucking face" all over the lake. And except for a couple of breezy choppy periods they were on top all day. I expected to see them move into shore and begin splashing and thrashing as the water temps moved toward the 65 degree mark about noon. But they never did move beyond the "dating game" phase.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got my first catfish about an hour after launch. Then another a half hour later. TubeBabe still had not had any inquiries...bait or plastic. So she went with two bait rods...one with minnow and one with carp cutlets. That's how she likes to roll.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About 10 am somebody pushed the bullhead button. TubeBabe was fishing in 6-7 feet of water right off the steep rocks and I was out in 9 feet. We were trying different depths and areas and staying in touch by walkie talkie. I had a minnow munch and brought in a bright yellow "Utah Lake golden". Otherwise known as "yellow belly", bullhead, mud cat or mudder. As I was removing the hook I got an announcement from TubeBabe that she had also just caught one of those ugly mudders. That started a session. We both caught a grundle more of them over the next couple of hours. I even caught a couple on plastics and one on a dropshot fly rig I was using for white bass later.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thankfully, the channel cats also came out to play. And we also got them at various depths once they joined the party. I caught them as deep as 8' and as shallow as 5'. TubeBabe found a zone in 6-7 feet and had regular action for the entire time she fished it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We had agreed that we would probably hit the shore between about noon and 1. Good plan but didn't work out that way. TubeBabe moved into the shoreline when the water temps went over 65 around noon. There were not as many whities there as during the high water of last year, but enough to keep her amused. On my way back to the vehicle I also moved in shallower and gave a few whities some exercise. Always fun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My final conquest of the day was a big ol' golden bonefish. We had both hooked a few carpinskis during the day. Couldn't avoid snagging them in their numbers. But some of them smacked our jigs, put the line over their broad shoulders and abused our light tackle. Even had a couple make some impressive leaps when hooked. Ugly but loveable. Just as I was getting ready to put up my plastics for the trip to shore I was reeling in across the surface and had a big ol buglemouth come up behind the little white jig in hot pursuit. The splashy take was amazing and the first long run was scary. Took about ten minutes of give and take before that beast got an insane desire to crawl into my net. I rewarded him by inviting him home. Not for my dinner but as future offerings to more kitties. TubeBabe and I had both gone through all our bait with the bullheads and cats and our supply of carp meat at home was dwindling. That carp had made a timely sacrifice. And his ending was more glorious than the customary complimentary gillectomy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We kept enough cookie cutter cats (19" - 22") for a batch of "smokitty" and a fish fry. We like to cook extra to have some leftovers for po boy sammiches. Spent some time down in N'awlins and learned me to lak dem po boys. A good roll, some greens, some 'matoes, some cheese and some tartar sauce or horseradish seafood cocktail sauce and WHOOOEEEE. Dat's some good stuff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also kept a dozen or so bullheads. They produce small fillets but oh so good when crispy fried. We also kept about a dozen whities to provide a handoff to TubeBabe's sister. We have turned her into a fishaholic and white bass are among her favorites.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A good day on the water for the Galloping Grammy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But whyizzit that you always seem to have so much more stuff to get back in the car after fishing than when you were loading up to go? And why does it always take so long when you are wored out from a full day of fishing?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
way to go.
[signature]
good to see ya got out for a trip with no wind.

we have been hitting utah lake every week for about the last 6 weeks. its been good every time i go out. some trips with epic good cats some with white bass . every trip this year i have been able to keep the kids doing work on fish. the book that i got from you is hot spot on [fishin]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks. Glad the book is helping.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About the wind. We have had at least 3 or 4 other "first trips" planned for TubeBabe but Mama Nature got finky on each of the others. We don't do wind.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Always good to know the area you will be fishing and the movement patterns and habits of your potential quarry. Then, if one species is either not at home or won't cooperate you can changeup and save the trip with something else.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad to hear the kids are having a good time. Much better to be busy with fish than with some of the other things that younguns can get into.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Shhhh - don't mention the "W" - it's a 4 letter word!

Typical - the 'ol man and his dame done put the whacking and smacking on them finny friends. No surprise, but always a fun read.

Thanks for sharing.
Can't believe it wasn't white bass central over there. Maybe a few more days of sunshine will do the trick. The bullheads are pretty active right now. I saw several caught yesterday. Thanks for the pics and report. I need to get out and beta test a few of your flies on a dropshot for whities and (apparently) bullheads! [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]White bass gather where there are conditions suitable to THEM...not fishermen. Last year they were all along that shoreline by the bazillions. This year the water level is lower and they have found better conditions elsewhere. You can work a mile of shoreline with no fish and finally find a small area where they stack up and go whoopie. Ya cain't ketch 'em where they ain't but when you find them...with the right temperatures...it can be unreal.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was playing with the dropshot flies yesterday and got lots of hits. But I suspect that some of them were probably bluegill or small perch in the areas I was casting in to shore. Flies were on larger size 4 hooks so fewer hookups on small fish. You can't make them too big for a hungry whitie. One of the ones we kept yesterday had a 5 inch perch in its gut. And the whitie was only about twice as long.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bullheads will eat anything that doesn't eat them first. I caught several of them yesterday on my biggest big cat minnows. Over the years I have caught countless mudders on plastics and crankbaits. A small slow-twitching fly is just a light snack for a mudder.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The good news is that white bass are not the only fish that like those dropshot flies fished on a spinning rig. Here is a pic of some nice whities and a bonus wallie from an evening dropshot fly trip at Lincoln Beach.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[inline "WALLEYE - WHITES - LINCOLN.jpg"]
[signature]
Golden catfish, great name. I have caught a few Emerald cats too![:p]

Great report as usual Tube Dude and Tube Dudete!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also known as whiskery golden trout...etc. Some folks have even more "colorful" names for them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Great report as always. Glad to see the kitties are waking up. I hear ya about mamma nature blowing away your best laid plans. Since fridays and weekends are when i can get out and since the weather man keeps forcasting big winds I am not getting my customary spring fix. Seems that the mudders have been numerous this year. Just seems to me anyway. Glad you found the fish today, the carp had to be a blast, did you stick both fins out and yell whoa????[laugh]
[signature]
sounds like a blast. TD you always post the best reports to read even if you have a bad day (willard)
[signature]
" did you stick both fins out and yell whoa????[laugh]"

[cool][#0000ff]Silly. That is a word not understood by fish...or by many humans either...especially females. But they do cause woe. (unpaid political statement)[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Actually I tried to slant my fins upward just a bit to see if I could get up and doe some carp skiing. Alas, I think the motor and battery were just a bit too much for my hyper carp to get up on plane.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I keep track of the fish I catch on fishing logs...by species as well as waters, etc. I checked back for the past 3 or 4 years and found that I seldom catch over about a dozen bullheads in a whole year. But most of the ones I catch are usually "footlongs" or bigger. Yesterday I probably caught over a dozen in less than two hours but all were under 10 inches...but fat. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Apparently there was a good spawn and recruitment a couple of years ago. For those who like bullheads next year should be a good one for size and quantity. For those who curse them as bothersome bait-nappers while they are fishing for channel cats...tough beans. Deal with it. All part of the ever-changing ecology of Utah Lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have heard of several other plentiful catches of bullheads this spring. And some of them are of respectable size. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I remember in the "olden days" (as you probably do) when families would line the banks inside the Provo Boat Harbor fishing for bullheads at night. They would fill buckets with them...catching them a fast as they could chunk out a crawler. And there were also large numbers harvested from shore near the bubbleup. But I doubt the creosote taste of fish taken from that area made them very good on the table. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When the bullies are bountiful the big walleyes feed on them heavily. One of the better walleye offerings at such times is a big ol black marabou jig or plastic. Lots of tasty calories in a small bullhead...if you are a walleye.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Bullheads were also plentiful back then at the Jordan river outlet. Before the present configuration with parks. Just downstream from the pumps. This year the few that I have caught were all bigger than the "normal" mudcat. It is amazing how the lake changes over the years with low water, high water. The whities last year were getting pretty decent size too.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]TubeBabe's first tubin' trip of the year. She has been busy discharging her self-assigned duties to family and friends. She is the traveler in the fambly. I call her the "Galloping Grammy".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Da Babe likes the Knolls (at Utah Lake). She enjoys dragging minnows for kitties...or whatever else wants to bend her stick and stretch her string. She is an equal opportunity anglerette.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had made some upgrades on her tube since her last trip and had to get her set up and checked out on that stuff. So it took a few minutes to get us both prepped and launched. We were on the water by about 7 am. Air temp was 47 and the lake was very calm...after a blow last night that left it a bit murky. Water temp at launch was 62. Lookin' good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We both started out by dragging a minnow on one rod and pitching plastics on the second. Prospecting for walleyes or whities in shallower water along the shoreline[/#0000ff][#0000ff], with tubes or grubs, while hoping for a walleye or kitty on the bait.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No love for either of us for the first half hour. Water levels were down about 3' from the "bathtub ring" of last year. That can really influence where the fish will be holding. So, we kicked out into deeper water and began seeing isolated fish marks on sonar. No schools...except for carpkind. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There were large brown clumps of carp "sucking face" all over the lake. And except for a couple of breezy choppy periods they were on top all day. I expected to see them move into shore and begin splashing and thrashing as the water temps moved toward the 65 degree mark about noon. But they never did move beyond the "dating game" phase.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got my first catfish about an hour after launch. Then another a half hour later. TubeBabe still had not had any inquiries...bait or plastic. So she went with two bait rods...one with minnow and one with carp cutlets. That's how she likes to roll.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About 10 am somebody pushed the bullhead button. TubeBabe was fishing in 6-7 feet of water right off the steep rocks and I was out in 9 feet. We were trying different depths and areas and staying in touch by walkie talkie. I had a minnow munch and brought in a bright yellow "Utah Lake golden". Otherwise known as "yellow belly", bullhead, mud cat or mudder. As I was removing the hook I got an announcement from TubeBabe that she had also just caught one of those ugly mudders. That started a session. We both caught a grundle more of them over the next couple of hours. I even caught a couple on plastics and one on a dropshot fly rig I was using for white bass later.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thankfully, the channel cats also came out to play. And we also got them at various depths once they joined the party. I caught them as deep as 8' and as shallow as 5'. TubeBabe found a zone in 6-7 feet and had regular action for the entire time she fished it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We had agreed that we would probably hit the shore between about noon and 1. Good plan but didn't work out that way. TubeBabe moved into the shoreline when the water temps went over 65 around noon. There were not as many whities there as during the high water of last year, but enough to keep her amused. On my way back to the vehicle I also moved in shallower and gave a few whities some exercise. Always fun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My final conquest of the day was a big ol' golden bonefish. We had both hooked a few carpinskis during the day. Couldn't avoid snagging them in their numbers. But some of them smacked our jigs, put the line over their broad shoulders and abused our light tackle. Even had a couple make some impressive leaps when hooked. Ugly but loveable. Just as I was getting ready to put up my plastics for the trip to shore I was reeling in across the surface and had a big ol buglemouth come up behind the little white jig in hot pursuit. The splashy take was amazing and the first long run was scary. Took about ten minutes of give and take before that beast got an insane desire to crawl into my net. I rewarded him by inviting him home. Not for my dinner but as future offerings to more kitties. TubeBabe and I had both gone through all our bait with the bullheads and cats and our supply of carp meat at home was dwindling. That carp had made a timely sacrifice. And his ending was more glorious than the customary complimentary gillectomy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We kept enough cookie cutter cats (19" - 22") for a batch of "smokitty" and a fish fry. We like to cook extra to have some leftovers for po boy sammiches. Spent some time down in N'awlins and learned me to lak dem po boys. A good roll, some greens, some 'matoes, some cheese and some tartar sauce or horseradish seafood cocktail sauce and WHOOOEEEE. Dat's some good stuff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also kept a dozen or so bullheads. They produce small fillets but oh so good when crispy fried. We also kept about a dozen whities to provide a handoff to TubeBabe's sister. We have turned her into a fishaholic and white bass are among her favorites.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A good day on the water for the Galloping Grammy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But whyizzit that you always seem to have so much more stuff to get back in the car after fishing than when you were loading up to go? And why does it always take so long when you are wored out from a full day of fishing?[/#0000ff] [/quote]

Wow that must have been such an awesome experience... Thank you for sharing those pictures with us!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks...and welcome aboard.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But you really don't have to reply to everybody's posts just to run up your post count. Nor do you need to put quotes on every message to which you reply.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Go fishing and post your own reports.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD that is quite the haul I would have taken hours to get them all prepped for the pan. Looks like you had lots of fun good job. Later J
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks. I have a couple of good electric fillet knives and a lot of experience. Doesn't take me long to "make little ones out of big ones".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Even unzipped the bullheads we kept. Small fillets but well worth the effort. Had "Bullhead Bacon" last night. Yum. Even had some left over for some po boy sammiches today.[/#0000ff]

[inline "MUNCH READY.jpg"]
[signature]
That looks really good, I'm thinking hush puppies. I'll have to try one of those electric knifes and start catching more fish so I get some practice. Wish my girls liked fish, I'm the only one in my family that likes them so I mostly just smoke them these days but everyone at work seems to be happy about that. Later J
[signature]