Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard BFT floatilla 4-20-16
[#0000FF]Some folks might have some special comments about today's date. Supposed to mean something if you are going to pot...or something.

Wanted to see if the crappies were getting serious at the north marina yet. I launched about 6:30. Air temp 45...water temp 56. Water warmed to 60 as I was leaving about 1ish.

Thought it was gonna be a bananner day. Bang, bang. Two nice crappies within five minutes of exiting the channel. Then nothing for a half hour. Just as Remo_5.0 was heading out to join me I went bendo on a feisty wiper...my first of three for the day.

It was Mike's first try for wipers on the Bay so I spent a few minutes on a basic rundown. We split up and I began to hook a crappie here and one there. No schools and nothing more than scattered singles.

RockyRaab peddled out in his Hobie Yak. Nice rig. The angler? Maybe.

Shortly thereafter HighNDry (Glenn) and his wife Patty came out in his toon and her tube. You'da thunk us floatation types were trying to take over the whole lake. Fat chance. Plenty of boats made sure we didn't have the lake to ourselves...even if we caught more fish than they did.

Not sure if the big moon hanging over lake at daybreak had anything to do with it, but the later in the morning it got the fewer crappies showed up. Caught my last one about 10ish. But after that I did catch two more wipers...both bigger than my first. In fact, the last one was literally on my last cast as I was heading around the corner into the marina.

Mike (Remo) was able to scratch wiper off his bucket list...more than once...and both on spinning and fly tackle. Exciting for him but not enough to make him swallow his cigar.

At the time I left, Glenn had caught at least two wipers. Patty...not so good. And Rocky was doing a good job of eddicatin' fish about how to let go before they got grabbed. Not sure how he ended up.

Met WH2 at the ramp as I was loading up. The parking lot looked like a sale day at Walmart by then. Misery loves company. Beautiful day though. Couldn't have asked for better.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Looks like a great day!!! Wish I could have been there. But my lot is to work the good days and fish the cold nasties. Oh well, happy for you guys. Later J
[signature]
Looks like the water was a whole lot calmer than it was on Tuesday. That dang work got in the way of me going Wed. Looks like fun!
[signature]
Would have been good to get out yesterday as well. But alas fambly obligations took over for this week.
[signature]
I ended up releasing one crappie so small he probably jumped into my boat for safety. Ha! I sent him back to be brunch for something else. All my other tugs and tussles ended up with long-distance releases.

I saw one boat consistently catching crappie but I couldn't see what on. As they were leaving, I saw them flash 25 fingers to another boat - two limits plus five. Nobody else did as well, and a lot of skunk smell was drifting around.

Couldn't even entice a cookie-cutter kitty to munch the garden hackle I was towing.

Surface water temp was 60.5° as I was leaving.
[signature]
Was great to finally get out with you Pat, thanks for the great education, I ended the day with 4 wipers (3 on fly rod) and 1 crappie on the fly also [Smile], was great to see Rocky again and meet Glenn and Patty, as I was getting ready to pull out Platty nailed 2 nice wipers to get the skunk off.

I may have found my new favorite fly rod species! Man those wiper pull! Weather was perfect, water was calm, all around a great day to be out. Thanks all. I'll get my pics up shortly.
[signature]
Oh ohhh you're in trouble, you felt the wiper tugs... will be hard to return to small trout after that... The big ones is different, but the planters will be hard to return to... Glad you got some fun... Later J
[signature]
Sounds like a pretty good trip overall. Thanks for another informative and enjoyable post. Did you mostly throw and tow only soft plastics? I didn't were mention of a single kitty.
[signature]
Ya, those Strawberry Cutts' leave a lot to be desired after the wipers.[sly]

The pics, some may be doubles, I started drinking.
[signature]
[#0000FF]It was good sharing some water with you again, sir. Wish you had more cause for "carp tunnel syndrome" or whatever that is with sore wrists. I know you were simply allowing the non-yakers to feel a bit smug, knowing you could whack us if you cared to. What a guy.

Some of the ones that made it to my fillet table (crappies) were males that have started to turn darker. That indicates that the spawn is nigh. Another week or so and it should be on. I have always said that Mothers' Day is a good bench mark for the middle of the action.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad we could finally get our dance cards together. Also glad the Willard fishies decided to play with you and show you a good time. You are doomed.

Nice looking fly. Your tie? Easy to see why the shad munchers in Willard found it worthy.

Also, forgot to ask you. What kind of line were you pulling?

Glad to hear that Patty got bent. She is a dedicated anglerette. Loves to fish and is a pretty good fish cooker too.

I was supposed to do a turn and burn...going to Utah Lake...with Glenn and Patty tomorrow. But my beat up old body ain't gonna cash that check if I write it.

A good had was timed by all.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Didn't tie that one, pulled it out of my saltwater box, I tied up some similar but didn't get around to throwing them.
[signature]
Yup the walleye lack in that fighting department as well, but those wiper are a fun fish and taste good too. What's that fly called? I like the look of it. Thanks for the pics. Later J
[signature]
I have a similar fly I picked up to try at Willard. I hope to be able to try it out soon.
[signature]
Pretty much a generic Snook baitfish pattern, too bad there are no Snook in Willard [Sad]
[signature]
Crappie's liked it also although they were short striking it, lots of hits but only one hook up.
[signature]
Sweet! The fly I picked up I think may get a lot of short strikes. It is a smaller hook and a long tail. But it looks like a fish which counts for something.[bobhappy]
[signature]
Here is a little better pic, top one is the pattern I used today, middle is same pattern with Chartruese on top and 3rd is a Schminnow which I bet would kill them!
[signature]
Anybody know if the carp are still in the shallows? Haven't made it up yet with my bow and might go Fri afternoon.
[signature]
They were all over in the shallows/reeds just outside the north Marina, splashing and wallowing around.
[signature]