Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fisher
Hello everyone, my family is from New Orleans, and after visiting a few times and going on fishing trips out there I decided I wanted to try and catch some fish out here in Vegas. I've been out a few times with my father but we haven't had any luck yet. I read the big general lake mead thread that is up but I have a two more questions I may not have seen in there. When are the fish biting the most? Does anyone out here kayak fish? I have a kayak and have been trying to get it set up and have a successful time out on the water, thanks for any help and advice!
[signature]
[left]What kind of fish are you trying to catch, what part of the lake have you been fishing, and what have you been throwing so far?
[/left]
[signature]
[cool]Welcome to the board. Here are some pics of my kayak setup. I mainly fish for stripers but will go after LMB and SMB when they are active.
[signature]
I sometimes paddle around.
http://site.lvhost2.com:82/fish/images/yakmead1-8x6.jpg
http://site.lvhost2.com:82/fish/images/troll-s.jpg
[signature]
Greg I am looking for any fish I can find. From what I've gathered striped bass seem to be what's mostly out there so probably that but I'm really just trying to get some action. So far I've been to Willow Beach the most, tried out Hemenway Pier once and just recently made a short trip out by Callville Bay. I was throwing soft worms at first and tried anchovies and shrimp as well. I found a thread on here and got all the lures it said on there but I haven't got to put them to the test yet.
[signature]
Thanks BigE appreciate the greeting. You got a nice looking set up! What are the two lures you have in the second picture? I'll take some pics of mine next time I'm out and show y'all what I've got. Bsliv your set up looks pretty nice as well! Hopefully I'll see one of y'all out real soon when it starts warming up.
[signature]
I'm guessing your going from shore. Hemenway pier was way too shallow when I went there years ago. The water has moved, but it looks like a gradual slope, so it's probably just as shallow. At willow, they stopped stocking trout a few years ago and that hurt striper fishing as they eat the trout. That should start up again in a few weeks, but it will take time to recover. If you have a heavy rod you can throw giant trout swimbaits once that starts.

Other than that, try government wash, crawdad cove, Kingman wash on the AZ side. It's the turnoff right after the bridge over the river and before the Willow exit. Or you can go up north toward echo bay or overton. I used to have good luck on the overton side from shore.

I haven't had much luck for stripers from shore during winter, they usually go deeper, so you'd have to use bait this time of year.

It gets easier from the spring on like most places. During july-Oct, the stripers start boiling at the surface and just throw topwater in the middle of it. Kinda looks like a weird surface disturbance with some swirls and some splashing. If it's all splashing and you see kinda short and tall fish jumping, that's probably gizzard shad jumping. Those get to a couple pounds, so they are easy to mistake for stripers. It's easier to hit them from shore with a longer rod. A lot of times you see it just off shore and it's just out of range... Also, white colored lures do well on both stripers and LMB here. My fav jerkbait is a bleeding redhead. There are also catfish all over. Hope that helps.
[signature]
[cool]The jointed one is a Spro BBZ. And the other is an off brand stickbait like a Bomber Long A. That picture was taken at Willow Beach and I was hoping to catch a large striper(got the skunk that trip).
[signature]