Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cottonwood Cove Questions?
My wife and I are thinking of trying out cottonwood cove next month towards the end of the month. I haven't been able to fish the past year and half since I broke my back last year in a car accident.

I have never fished below the dam other than Willow Beach. Cottonwood cove looks really nice, and was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions of where to fish.

Going to probably stay down there 2 days.
[signature]
I haven't been out there in around a year but it's great for LMB. If you got a back injury, be careful with Mohave, when it's flat on Mead, it can be super windy a lot of the time down there in the spring. Like 20+ mph wind. Not sure what it's like on the river when it's windy like that, the forecast keeps me away and we go to Mead instead.

If you turn left and go up river, there is a lot of artificial structure in most of the coves. Not sure how far up that extends though. You can usually visually see the stuff under the water and the bass hanging out. A lot of smooth bottoms and clear water to catch bass off of beds if the spawn is on when you go. Saw a lot of catfish too.

I never went down into the main body of the lake...

Hope you have a good trip. I'm heading to Roosevelt Lake, AZ this weekend. Hopefully we find something lol
[signature]
Unless you can pick and choose weekends with bluebird skies, I wouldn't go out of Cottonwood with back issues. More than once I've stuck it out in coves waiting for the wind to settle down, so I didn't get beat to #ell going back to the marina...

And even if the weather is "supposed to be" nice with little wind, the weathermen lies. Been down there in my little boat when it was supposed to be no wind, and the lake turned into a washing machine.

I'd go to Katherine's Landing instead, at least the prevailing south winds shouldn't get you down there.

Greg was wondering about Willow VS Cottonwood. I've been at Cottonwood with 2-3'ers from the south, and motored up to Willow where it was dead calm.

I picked up several FAT smallmouth fishing for big stripers down around Cottonwood, and that's what I'd target if not going for stripers. Dink stripers can be had soaking bait in deep coves, even in the middle of the day, just have to find them.
[signature]