Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Easter Weekend
I took the kayak up to the Gorge for a weekend trip. Started out at Sheep Creek on Friday with limited success. It wasn't a skunk day but still a little slow, the few boaters I talked to reported about the same. I decided to try out of Anvil Saturday.
Started out trolling as soon as I left the ramp thinking I could knock the skunk off early with a rainbow or two while getting out to where I wanted to jig for macs. No luck.
I paddled away from the shore into deeper water then up to a shallower area and as expected saw the the rod tips twitch as the deep diving cranks hit bottom. The new Koke rod I had hoped to christen on a rainbow stuck and I thought, great a snag, I pulled back on it suddenly new that ain't no snag. I was half way through fighting this first fish when the forgotten other rod drag started screaming. A double mac attack in a kayak! I got the first fish to the boat and was lucky enough to net it on the first try. It was big but I didn't realize how it at the time.
I pulled the net in close to the yak and turned my attention to the 2nd fish. When I got this one close it had spit the lure but had looped the line around its neck a half dozen times.
So I had one Angry fish in the net with two treble hooks in its mouth, that I wanted to release, going crazy and one in the yak pinned under my leg. I paddled to shore to get the mess untangled. I got the larger fish out of the net and did a quick measure and put her in the water when I saw blood coming out her gills. I took her back to the kayak took some pictures and went back out. She was a hair over 36" and the smaller 2nd fish was 23".
Caught several more pups jigging and also a Koke.
Made for a memorable Easter Weekend.
Photos coming.
[signature]

[signature]
[signature]
We were up there Saturday and caught enough pups that we gave up on trying to keep a count on them. Picked up a couple of rainbows out in the deeper water with the lakers.

No 36 inchers for us but nothing under twenty inches either.

Other than the wind it was a nice day to be on the water.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
It's fun to kayak fish but one of the draw backs is your more less committed to the area you choose to fish. My daughter pressure canned the big one. When I was filleting I had flashbacks to when I was a kid skinning out a greasy raccoon.
I'll be sure to have lip grippers with me next time so I can control a big one to get the hooks out without injury( to either the fish or myself).
[signature]
Amik, you are welcome on my boat anytime, if you are that determined to catch a fish from a kayak I am sure you would be awesome on a boat!
[signature]
Awesome fish!
[signature]
Sounds like you had nice Easter Weekend that's for sure - that had to be blast.

Nice job getting them both in.
[signature]
Thanks guys, it was a blast.
I hope to get out there again soon. I'll have to say this is a great forum. I have been fishing for 50+ years and it's nice to read of your experiences and still learn from what you unselfishly share with one another.
[signature]
very nice!!
[signature]
Man what a great trip, did you get a weight on the big one. That's really a fat one. What a circus that had to be with two nice fish on at the same time. I had two carp on at the same time Saturday and while I was fighting the one 27"er I had to step on my other pole so it didn't get pulled in by the 25"er. Can't imagine having real fish that fight like a Mac would be. Fun times, thanks for sharing. J
[signature]
What a great experience! Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures!
[signature]
Man great job! All though I'm a newbie here to BFT I got to say I agree with the selflessness of people on here... hope your all being honest as well!
So with that said I'm going to share for my first time.
My better half and I spent some time at the gorge this weekend as well. We boated 3 good fish im guessing 2 of which are around the 20lbs and 1 I think may be pushing 25lbs. Also caught some bows, some pups and a couple Kokes!
I'll try to load some pics...
Tight lines all...
[signature]
Nice looking fish lunkerslayer! Looks like you had a fun day.
Nice pictures.
[signature]
Looks like I chose wrong not going to the gorge last weekend... Great fish, thanks for the pics and story... PS... welcome to BFT.... J
[signature]
Thanks for the post and pictures amik
[signature]