Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hook 3 Question
I used my Hook 3 for the first time at the Flotilla. Didn't quite know what to expect, but I saw nothing like the simulator demo. In fact, I really saw most of nothing.

Then a week later at Hyrum I saw what looked like fish, but they were miniature compared to the simulator images of fish.

Do real fish show up tiny on this fish finder?
[signature]
The simulator mode on any Fish finder(FF) is set up to show you a variety of different views, so you will know what to expect when you see it in a real life situation but it rarely shows you what you might see in every situation. In most FFers there are several sized icons for fish that you will see, if you have it in the fish ID mode, usually there are small, medium and large, so if you have your FFer in that mode, instead of the manual mode that might be why you were only seeing tiny fish. Without seeing a pic of what you were seeing it's hard to know but if you have it in that Fish ID mode, you will see bigger fish. If you are in the right place, where bigger fish hang out, you will see those bigger fish, you just have to spend more time on the water with your FFer, to get use to how it works.
[signature]
I have it set up to show fish as arches right now. I'll try the other settings when I go out next, which will be soon.

I have the transducer set up pointing ahead and about 4 inches underwater. I think that is correct.
[signature]
I'm not sure how deep it is matters much on a pontoon or small boat like yours, but it does on a faster moving craft. What really matters is the angle of the transducer, it should be flat or level, not angled forward.
[signature]
And work on reading the screen without the fish ID on. On the finfers that I've had they have put up fish symbols for anything that it detects between the bottom and the surface. Also if you are not traveling very fast the fish will be more of a flat line than they will be an arch. The arch that is shown on the screen shows up that way because when it is first detected at the edge of the sonar cone it is a greater distance than it is in the middle of the cone. So it shows it starting off deeper then the mark shallows up as you pass over the fish and goes deeper as the fish gets to the edge of the cone again.

There are some good YouTube videos that explain this much better than I am.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Also if your ever up at Deer Creek I would be happy to go over it with you in your or my boat. They all work the same but some have more features than others.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.