Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba
Coming back from Vegas I decided to stop by Yuba and check out the water levels and it does not look good. The water is dropping and it looks like it's going to be as dry as last year. The rockpile was under water last time I was there so were the islands . Pretty soon you won't be able to even launch which is Sad .
[signature]
Thanks for the pictures and update. I hoped it would have been a better water year for Yuba.
[signature]
My guess would be that there is still a great deal of water up in the Mtns at the head waters of the Seiver and they are getting ready to fill that puppy. Remember, snowpack all over the state was above normal and there is still a great deal to come down yet. I would not get to worried until mid July, if it is still that low, then worry !!!
There is still a ton of snow up top. It might not be enough to fill the lake as hard as Delta waters every summer, but it'll be at least mid June before you can even really get close to the top of some of the canyons near Gunnison. As it is right now, everyone is running water all the time and nine mile, which also feeds the Sevier is more full than I've seen it in four years. We've got plenty of water in reserve....not sure why they're not dumping it into Yuba yet.
[signature]
I have went to Yuba a several times to fish. Ice fishing, from shore and from a boat. All failures. It is only about 45 minutes to get there, but I am reluctant to go anymore.

What sort of fishing is going on down there any how do you target them? I hear good reports about fishing for N. Pike. I heard it used to be great for walleye.
[signature]
Yuba is a hard reservoir being private owners of the water control the level. Not sure if it's worth the dwr to poison it and put a lot of money into it because of this issue!
[signature]
Depends on what you want. A fishery that includes Yellow Perch and Walleye, and Tiger Muskie, and possibly Wipers? Or a fishery that consists of a few nice Northern Pike and a few million carp? Because there's almost no chance of anything buy Northerns and carp without rotenone. The UDWR went way beyond the call when they transplanted 50,000 adult Yellow Perch from Fish Lake, only to have them eaten by the pike with nothing to show for the effort.

If they can knock the carp back and eliminate the pike, they'll be able to quickly establish Walleyes and Yellow Perch and Wipers. Or you could have what you have now.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
Exhibit A why any money spent trying to "manage" a Yuba fishery is wasted money.

In order for a fishery to exist, there does actually have to be water first.
[signature]
I'm okay with that. Don't spend another nickel on that place.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
This plan is simply pissing money away to get rid of Northern Pike, the only game fish that has coped well with Yuba water levels.
[signature]
Nope. The Northern Pike have done well this time. The Walleye and Yellow Perch did just as well during their heyday, but haven't been able to get established since the pike took over.

[signature]
Main forage for Pike are carp and walleyes not much of anything else in there. There's bigger pike that won't hit lures unless you have the right set up. Most are on the bottom waiting for prey to pass by so best luck is using carp imitation lures near the bottom. Also there's a few areas they hang out .
[signature]